DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Are some MEMCALs interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Firebird
Are some MEMCALs interchangeable?

I almost finished restoring my V6 90 Firebird, and determined my PROM/MEMCAL (ATXF = broadcast production code) is bad. I'm not electronically inclined, but find it hard to believe that there are at least a dozen or so PROM chips for a base automatic 3.1L V6 Firebird. When I look up my 8th digit VIN letter and RPO code, over six different PROM codes come up under that combination. My ATXF code is nowhere to be found as far as aftermarket is concerned. No one stocks it or makes it anymore. As long as I use another PROM under the above settings, should it work (or do I need my specific ATXF)? Or, if I need that specific one, what is so different about a 90 automatic V6 3.1 that requires so many different PROMS?

Looking at this link: http://www.3rdgenformula.com/90/promcodes.htm

Shouldn't any of the PROMS/MEMCALS second row from the bottom work? And of course, this would be if I replaced the entire MEMCAL, not just the PROM. From a novice perspective, were all the different codes for the same engine just representative of different manufacturing plants (or so someone told me)?

Last edited by florida_gators; 08-02-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-02-2010, 12:34 PM

Car: 1985 IROC-Z28
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Are some MEMCALs interchangeable?

the different BCCs represent different calbrations, has nothing to do with where they originated from. generally, you'll want the atest calibration possible, since GM usually made improvements to driveability/emissions/knock filter/etc and then released the next BCC, sometimes on a recall, other times from customer complaint.

as for LH0/auto F-cars:

ALTD c
ALSZ
ATFM
ATFN c
ARPM
ARPN c
ATXF
ATXH c
AUJW
AUJX c
AYCF c
AYCH
AZTY
AZTX c

some of those are setup for california emissions(the little c signifies that), while others are made for federal, but they're all for a 90-92 3.1/auto f-car. if i were you, i would be looking for an AZTY MEMCAL, or have the PROM replaced and have the AZTY BIN burnt in place of it. i have this BIN on my laptop if you can find someone local, otherwise i could do it for you if you throw me a couple bones to pay for the EEPROM and the couple of minutes spent soldering it in.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Car: 1990 Firebird

Thanks! I was in a near panic when I couldn't find my specific 4 letter code. I'll see what I can find as far as replacement MEMCALs go. This gives me a lot more options. Is the last one: AZTY or AZYT? Between your post and the link there is a typo.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 PM

Car: 1985 IROC-Z28
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

there is no AZYT MEMCAL.

BTW, i never looked at the link, just going off of info on my laptop.

if you can't find any MEMCALs locally or through normal sources, i know of a seller on ebay(ragged) that usually sells off MEMCALs for some awesome prices(got one earlier this week for less than $20 shipped).