DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

WB O2 before or after cross over?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 383 SuperRam AFR 195s
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt
WB O2 before or after cross over?

Getting ready to install my WB O2 sensor to fine tune my EBL and had a few questions about where to put it.

I've read other posts that said it needs to be pretty far away for the exhaust port to be cool enough to live. BobR recommended just before the cat.

I have a true dual, dual cat car with an exhaust cross over about a foot in front of the cats. The drivers side pipe is about 3 feet from the collector to the x over, but the passenger side is maybe 18". My thinking was that I wanted the WB on the other bank from the factory NB but to do this I would have to put the WB after the x over. Would that be a problem or am I thinking too much on this?
Attached Thumbnails WB O2 before or after cross over?-exhaust.jpg  
Old 03-16-2010, 03:03 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: WB O2 before or after cross over?

Could you place in the X over? Keep in mind it has to be 9-3 o'clock position.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 383 SuperRam AFR 195s
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt

I think I can get it in the x over. It would be just above horizontal, well protected, and a nice easy route for the wires. Great!

Thanks Ronny!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

why is this a problem? how does a wideband not survive near heat? its a heated 02 sensor lol.

im about to do the same btw... i just got my LC-1 innovate motorsports wideband and im looking to install it on my pass side as well. but im running headman LTs and true dual 3" into 3" xpipe into turndowns.

now... wats all this buisness about the widebands not surviving? i was planning to weld in a bung right after the pass side header collector, on the actual header extension (not the header) bc i plan on junking the headers to make my own, either LTs or make sum twin turbo headers.

doesnt the wideband have to be within a certain distance from the exhaust port?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 IROC-Z28
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by customblackbird
why is this a problem? how does a wideband not survive near heat? its a heated 02 sensor lol.
the heater circuits in any heated O2, wideband or not, can't take them up to the temp that the exhaust stream can if they are placed too close to the ports...
Old 04-15-2010, 09:24 AM
TGO Supporter

I discussed my sensor failures with Filepe at Innovate. He explained that Innovate never recommended a permanent installation. They just point out it can be done but care must be taken in placement. He said OEM spends mucho time on finding an optimal location on dyno. My choice initially was about 2 inch behind flange in ext pipe. It failed I will say twice in first year. I run CL so that rules out too lean. He recommended moving it back in ext stream. In Vette that left me on place only and that is about 20 inches back from original loaction. I also added the extendo bung (stain steel) at same time. No failures in now my 3-4 season of use.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Saar
the heater circuits in any heated O2, wideband or not, can't take them up to the temp that the exhaust stream can if they are placed too close to the ports...
i dnt see how heat can ruin it... its a heated sensor. on a NA car the temps arent hot enough, innovate states that they should not be placed in the header before a turbo as it will destroy the sensor due to the EXTREME heat and pressure. but the downpipe is ok. on a NA car the exhaust temps arent near the same as a turbo car and therefore the collector flange on a header is ideal. how can the sensor be damaged by excessive heat when innovate says u can run one for every cylinder? that means mounting in a primary tube and closer to the exhaust valve.

ronny... please elaborate... having some trouble understanding why it failed and why placement determined that. how does the extendo bung affect the data/placement of the sensor when the tip is shrouded and how will the extendo bung increase the life of the sensor?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:59 PM
TGO Supporter

I cant honestly say why sensor failed. I "presumed" it was getting too hot. Needless to say moving it back worked for me. I added the extendo as it was said it helps life of sensor. you may want to email or call Innovate and ask for Filepe. He is the man on technical Q. Also their Forum may have commentary on this. You points are valid. Some header mfg sell an adapter to add behing flang with bung prewelded in place. But that may be for NB use. How can a NB survive that heat in OEM location in stock ext manifold?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ronny
I cant honestly say why sensor failed. I "presumed" it was getting too hot. Needless to say moving it back worked for me. I added the extendo as it was said it helps life of sensor. you may want to email or call Innovate and ask for Filepe. He is the man on technical Q. Also their Forum may have commentary on this. You points are valid. Some header mfg sell an adapter to add behing flang with bung prewelded in place. But that may be for NB use. How can a NB survive that heat in OEM location in stock ext manifold?
exactly! thats like saying the NB sensor is better than a wideband. NB (single wire) have to heat up with the exhaust temp so they have to be close enough to the heads to eat up the NB 02 to about 600degrees.

only difference between the single wire and 3 wire NB02s is that the 3wires have a heater so they bring themselves up to operating temp of about 600degrees, widebands do the same thing.

now where did u place your WB that its lasting as long as it is? how far would u say from the header collector?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:25 PM
TGO Supporter

He recommended moving it back in ext stream. In Vette that left me on place only and that is about 20 inches back from original location. I also added the extendo bung (stain steel) at same time. No failures in now my 3-4 season of use.

Original location was 2 inch behind collector flange in ext pipe.