DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

replacement fuel injector - TBI

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 RS
Engine: 305 TBI - LT1 Cam
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Stock Crap
replacement fuel injector - TBI

I ordered replacement fuel injectors from advanced auto parts and got two different fuel injectors from two different manufacturers with the same part number on the boxes. Although the two injectors were different. The first box was a BWD that contained a fuel injector that looked just like the one from the factory. The second injector was from another manufacturer that I can't remember right now, but the injector looked a little different.

So to make a long story somewhat shorter, I got my hands on two of the different looking injectors and installed them in the car. It runs fine, but I'm concerned about two things.

1. The new injector has the nozzles recessed in a cone in the injector body where the old injector has a flat bottom. I'm not sure how the spray should look coming out of the TBI, but the new injectors spray pattern doesn't look super and occasionally drips into the manifold when just idling.

2. My local mechanic asked what was going on with my car and when I told him I had ordered new injectors he led on that I probably just got remanufactured injectors and that because they were not designed to handle gas with ethanol that I would have problems with them. What injector should I be looking for???

I went with the newer injectors thinking that since they were redesigned that they would be better suited for gas with ethanol and that the injector that looked just like the old one would not be.

any thoughts on any of this??? I will try to find pics of the injectors in question.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:16 PM

Re: replacement fuel injector - TBI

the injectors that are in my car right now are GP Sorenson, they have the part number 57020z, which is a BWD part number. I found both websites on line and they have the same application lookup windows.

The number BWD suggests is 57020 and GP is 800-1804N.

http://www.bwdbrand.com/web_app/cata...trSearch=57020

http://www.gpsbrand.com/web_app/gps_...arch=800-1804N

of course these parts look like the originals, but not the ones that are in my car right now.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 80 SE/TTA;88 T/A GTA;86 T/A
Engine: 4.9L Turbo; LT1; empty
Transmission: TH350; T56; empty
Axle/Gears: 3:23 disk; 4:10 disk ; 3.42 disk

subscribing to this...i just picked up a fuel injector...haven't looked at it for a month now since i can't access my car at the moment, but it looks to be the GP Sorensen version, and with you bringing up the ethanol comment, i am interested in people's response.

As far as the shape of the injector spray...it should be cone shaped, but how far down it's supposed to spray, i'm not sure. To my knowledge on the subject, they should not drip at all. That is the reason i am replacing one of mine is because it drips when the car is turned off.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Finally!!! here is the one that I got from advanced in GP box that had the BWD part number 57020z on it!!! Its an exact picture of the one that i have but on a different website...... hmmmm

http://www.standardbrand.com/web_app...images/TJ7.jpg

of couse the gp web site has a different picture for that part number 800-1807N

http://www.gpsbrand.com/web_app/gps_...arch=800-1807N