DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Datalogging issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Datalogging issues.

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble data logging. I used to datalog without problem on an old pc, but that pc has now crapped out. Some I am trying to get it to work on my newer pc running windows xp.

The car is an 87' 350 TPI

My cable is from AKM, it is a serial cable.

First of all I'm seeing some conflicting information on where the pins go. I know the ground goes to pin A on the ALDL port. But does the signal go to pin E or M? Also I am using a 10k ohm resistor between pins A&B.

I am trying to use TTS Datamaster as it looks like a pretty slick setup. I am using their file Datamaster - 32. When I hit the "test com" button it says everything is ok. But when I hit "start" logging I get an error "No PCM Sync, Recycling"

Now for WinALDL. It looks like it gets connected okay. But only the first 5 lines of data are recorded (MW2, PROMIDA, PROMIDB, IAC, and CT). What does this mean? Also PROMIDA was all zeros, and PROMIDB was all 109's. Also, WinALDL's dashboard doesn't work.

At the end of the day, I'm trying to diagnose an engine that all of the sudden started running really poorly.

Can anyone help? I couldn't find a solution by searching.

Thanks a lot,

John
Old 07-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Datalogging issues.

Update.

The ecm has an aftermarket prom mounted with a Moates G1 adapter. The stock memcal, I think thats the right word, was also attached to the moates adapter. From what I understand, the stock unit only provides 'limp home' functionality with my configuration. So I removed the stock memcal from the G1 adapter and started the car, testing to see if the car was in 'limp home' mode. To my suprise, Datamaster now works. It is datalogging. So for some reason the stock memcal was preventing the car from transmitting data. Interestingly the car also ran MUCH better with the memcal removed. Some I'm guessing the memcal was causing my datalogging and bucking/stumbling problems.

Any ideas? Bad memcal, forcing the car into 'limp home'?

Also, with the memcal unplugged, I'm getting a code 41. No codes otherwise.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Datalogging issues.

Nobody. Is this the wrong forum? I'll try the DIY PROM forum.