DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

93 9C1 to EBL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 93 Caprice 9C1
Engine: L05
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
93 9C1 to EBL?

I've been away from this whole scene for quite some time, as I've been tending to my new photography hobby. So forgive me if this comes off like a newbie post...

I still have my 93 9C1 and the L05 is still going at 253k (it was at 237k when I last updated my sig). With gas prices the way they are, I think I found an excuse to try out an EBL solution in the quest for better mileage, and if I can improve drivability and performance, awesome.

I currently have Tunercat and an EPROM burner and UV eraser. I am thinking that I will be needing to add some equipment (and software) to my suite if I want to take advantage of everything EBL has to offer (like RT-tuning).

What are my options for converting my ECM? I guess DIY or send it in?

How about tuning? Is there a way to start with a cal that is at least close to what I have now, or even close to what it was stock? There are no appreciable engine modes, except opened up intake and exhaust.

If someone wants to point me to a FAQ that would be great, too.

The car is currently suffering from a blown differential (as always, my fault, and a long story), but I plan to get it back on the road inside of a month. I look forward to electronic fan control and possibly A/C control. I guess I can lose the AIR system and EGR.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: 93 9C1 to EBL?

The EBL supports the EGR, so if you want that can stay. Same with a CCP soleniod (not AIR though). As for self-install or have it done, depends upon whether you are comfortable doing it. There is an install guide on the site that you can look over.

The EBL Flash system is now provided with a series of BINs with various calibrations. These are starter BINs for exactly as you asked about. Something to drop in and start with.

RBob.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by RBob
The EBL supports the EGR, so if you want that can stay.
Oh wow. When did that change? Do you keep a change log somewhere? I would love to see how the project has progressed.

Actually, now that I think about it, I had to disable my EGR as I had some funny exhaust pulses that caused the EGR to do funny things, which made the engine stumble and bog...probably an engine issue (valves?).

Same with a CCP soleniod (not AIR though).
As long as this doesn't hurt my cats, then I'm fine with no AIR.

How about ECM A/C control?

As for self-install or have it done, depends upon whether you are comfortable doing it. There is an install guide on the site that you can look over.
Well I installed a 24-pin ZIF to facilitate easier chip changes, and I am a EE, but I should look over the installation guide to be sure I feel comfortable with it. Where is that?

The EBL Flash system is now provided with a series of BINs with various calibrations. These are starter BINs for exactly as you asked about. Something to drop in and start with.
What would be the closest thing to a 93 9C1 L05?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 94 9c1 Caprice
Engine: LT1 (3-fity)
Transmission: 4L60E reBUILT
Axle/Gears: 3:08 POSI (out)

I just took my stock chip (bin) and converted it to EBL and changed the
things that are listed in the instructions that come with the EBL.
Since then I have done 2 head swaps and 3 cam changes, different injectors and TBI's. On a side note the 454/2" TBI will not gain much with
your stock cam and head combo but it will kill your gas milage.
I'm in the progress of rebuilding an engine (just a 350 11.22:1 blaa..blaa)
Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM

So what do you think I can get for mileage with the 3.42s and mostly stock engine? I plan to run 87 no matter what I do. I pretty much never break 20mpg, so if I could be at 23mpg highway, I'd be pretty happy, with just an ECM/tuning change.

Oh, that reminds me. Does EBL have a lean/highway mode like my stock cal does? Or if not, can someone assure me that the EBL will do better even without it?

Also, I found the page and was reading. Is there any chance the EBL can work with an electronic low pressure A/C transducer like that which was used in the 94-96 Caprice? I thought it would be cool to tune my A/C, too. The hysteresis of the stock mechanical switch is not acceptable to me, even after adjustment.

Finally, I understand the EBL mod was done around the 7747 ECM. Does that mean I'd have to re-pin my harness as if I was converting to a 7747? Zipfast, what did you have to do?

Last edited by kevm14; 03-24-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:39 PM

Wow, the things one forgets in 2 years. Ok, I already asked this question and I think the answer was "there is nothing to change to run EBL when swapping from a '6965." Even IAT? I'd also have to run wires to control my fans.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 94 9c1 Caprice
Engine: LT1 (3-fity)
Transmission: 4L60E reBUILT
Axle/Gears: 3:08 POSI (out)

The only thing I had to change was 1 (one) pin for the AC.
Yes EBL has highway mode.
What does the 94-95 AC do different that needs tuning?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by zipfast
The only thing I had to change was 1 (one) pin for the AC.
Yes EBL has highway mode.
What does the 94-95 AC do different that needs tuning?
Well the LT1s with their '8051 PCMs fully controlled their A/C. B-bodies used a low pressure side transducer and read the pressure right in the PCM. They also had a high pressure side transducer and used that info to control the A/C compressor and fans. High speed fans engaged above a certain high side pressure, which is pretty much condensor temp.

The F-bodies used a temp sensor on the evap itself and controlled works via temps instead of pressures, but same thing. When I had my Camaro, I was able to change the actual temps that the PCM would shut off the compressor (stock was around 34° I think) and the temps that the PCM re-engaged the compressor (39° stock maybe). One reason I want this is because I have experimented with Freeze-12 in my Caprice and the low pressure switch needed quite a bit of adjustment to get the evap temps to the same range they were with R-12. Problem is, the hysteresis is way too large and the evap warms up before the compressor kicks back on. With full ECM control, I would be able to fine tune this to my heart's content.

So when I hear about computer controlled A/C, unless it does the above, it's not. I believe EBL does have a little better A/C control than stock, which is nice. And the fan control sounds great. I find it somewhat funny though. WOT A/C shutoff - is that supposed to be an EBL-exclusive feature? My 9C1 calibration did this stock. It also had highway mode enabled, stock. I am assuming the mileage gains from EBL are far, far more than just highway mode.