DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Fed up with megasquirt

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 iroc-z z-28
Engine: 383
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Fed up with megasquirt

I cant take it anymore the stupid thing wont keep my car idling, it says im reading way too lean and all this other stuff. Im over it. What efi setup is there for me to use that i can get my car running right up for the most part
Old 03-21-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 irocz
Engine: b2l 350
Transmission: corvette 4+3
Re: Fed up with megasquirt

My recomendation is a tried and true oem unit, the 7730 to be specific. They're cheap to replace if you suspect a problem, they're well documented, and in most cases they will out perform the exotic aftermarket units. In fact i keep a spare unit in the trunk in case of an on the road emergency. It may not get the car restarted but at least i know what the problem isn't.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:16 PM

Car: 1996 Chevrolet S10
Engine: 350 LT1
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.08:1

Sorry but the OEM unit is crap compared to pretty much all aftermarket systems out there. Especially when it comes to modified engines. Burning PROM chips is a thing of the past and belongs there. Honestly if you can't tune the megasquirt to get it running you're not going to be able to tune any other system and should consider taking it to a tuner. Megasquirt does have a steep learning curve and is aimed for those who have a healthy understanding of how EFI works.

If you're dead set on replacing it, I can recommend the Holley Commander ECM. It even uses GM type ECM (OBD1) connectors. It's pretty user friendly and if you go to http://www.chevytalk.com , Doug Flynn who is one of the higher ups at Holley is a moderator in their EFI section. He is always able to help and handle any issue you can have, not too mention the knowledge there about the Holley stuff is amazing.

But, I think it's time you take this to a tuner and let them dial it in. The Megasquirt is more than capable of making your engine run like a raped ape if tuned by the right person. Theres megasquirted engines making 1,000HP plus. So it's more than up to the challenge, try that with a stock ECM.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Berlinetta
Engine: Megasquirted TPI
Transmission: Transgo 700R4

I would stick with the megasquirt.

Myself and others are proof that it can be done if you have the patience.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 iroc-z z-28
Engine: 383
Transmission: th400

Ill prolly get it done in the summer.I just am way too busy right now with school, work and other things.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Supreme Member

I hear you. Senior semester is a bitch.

If I was closer I would help you out.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 226 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by Brian Esser
Sorry but the OEM unit is crap compared to pretty much all aftermarket systems out there. Especially when it comes to modified engines. Burning PROM chips is a thing of the past and belongs there. Honestly if you can't tune the megasquirt to get it running you're not going to be able to tune any other system and should consider taking it to a tuner. Megasquirt does have a steep learning curve and is aimed for those who have a healthy understanding of how EFI works.

If you're dead set on replacing it, I can recommend the Holley Commander ECM. It even uses GM type ECM (OBD1) connectors. It's pretty user friendly and if you go to http://www.chevytalk.com , Doug Flynn who is one of the higher ups at Holley is a moderator in their EFI section. He is always able to help and handle any issue you can have, not too mention the knowledge there about the Holley stuff is amazing.

But, I think it's time you take this to a tuner and let them dial it in. The Megasquirt is more than capable of making your engine run like a raped ape if tuned by the right person. Theres megasquirted engines making 1,000HP plus. So it's more than up to the challenge, try that with a stock ECM.

I must say that that what you posted about GM ECMs is pretty funny. Evidently you know very little about them. So just bash them for no reason.

As for your finer points: Burning PROM chips is a thing of the past and belongs there. Not an issue with the GM ECMs. Just get a Prominator, Ostrich, Romulator or another similar device and use that.

Theres megasquirted engines making 1,000HP plus. So it's more than up to the challenge, try that with a stock ECM. Not an issue with GM ECMs either. There is nothing in the GM ECMs to limit the power. That makes your statement all that more absurd.

Since you brought up the Holley Commander, can it run the EGR and CCP system for emissions compliance? If not then it is illegal to use on a street driven vehicle anywhere in the US. How about the MS, can it run an EGR system? How about TCC control?

Just so there is no misunderstanding of my stance on GM ECMs, I'll take and use a GM ECM over an aftermarket unit any day of the week. And do just that.

RBob.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

No egr built in, but you could code it for yourself if you want. The hardware and software is more then capable..
Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RBob
Just so there is no misunderstanding of my stance on GM ECMs, I'll take and use a GM ECM over an aftermarket unit any day of the week. And do just that....

Bob, any plans on going to EFI day this coming Saturday over @ e-town...?

Lemme know if you do, I'd like to finally meet you in person already....
Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 PM

If you plan on unloading your MS stuff, PM me with what you're looking for. I want to MS my Camaro.