DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Windows Vista - Anyone use with USB diagnostic wares?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 TA
Engine: 383
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Windows Vista - Anyone use with USB diagnostic wares?

Finally,

I picked up a new laptop. I really hate Vista. As soon as I can get an XP install disc made (darn serial ATA drive, lol), I will be happy.

Purchase was made to help get my new 383 running. Has anyone had any sort of problem running TunerCat, or WinALDL, etc, in Vista?

Where can I find an acceptable range of values for sensor data I log? I am concerned primarily with MAF, IAC, and BLM's. (ALDL to USB cable due here tomorrow).

What software are you guys using (USB prefered, but serial suggestions are great too) for just diagnostic?

I had a baseline chip made by Fastchips for my 383 (1988 stock TPI, ZZ4 cam, stockheads, 30lb injectors, stock MAF).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Ryan

Last edited by Ryan3834me; 08-16-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:13 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Windows Vista - Anyone use with USB diagnostic wares?

Surprise. Surprise... I too made the error of buying a lappy with vista. I too am putting XP on it, in fact today, if my daughter gets around to it. Without regard to Vista my new lappy does not have a real parallel port. That i need to communicate with my Prominator. So will use a pcmiacard/parallel port. I was told to try that? Prominator will not work with Vista. So uninstall Vista and install XP. Not enought room for both on lappy. I was successful datalogging(LearnVE) with Vista. I was successful in using my TunerPro to modify .bin.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Berlinetta
Engine: Megasquirted TPI
Transmission: Transgo 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I have not tried to use tunepro, but Megatune and other programs that use serial communitcations seem to have a real problem with vista (which is a piece of crap btw.)
Old 08-21-2007, 04:11 PM
TGO Supporter

My daughter today got a warning tring to unistall Vista. It says STOP! you already have the most advanced latest edition? WTF are you thinking of !

I used a USB to serial adapter I purchased at local computer store. worked fine for datalogging. If fact I think I was successfull in downloading WB logs to lappy as well. Guess the serial connection is OK.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ronny
My daughter today got a warning tring to unistall Vista. It says STOP! you already have the most advanced latest edition? WTF are you thinking of !

I used a USB to serial adapter I purchased at local computer store. worked fine for datalogging. If fact I think I was successfull in downloading WB logs to lappy as well. Guess the serial connection is OK.
Yes, unfortunately you cannot "downgrade" to XP from inside Windows Vista. You have to format the HDD and reinstall, however, most XP install CDs don't have the drivers for the SATA HDD, so you either need them on a floppy drive or "slipstream" them into a custom Windows XP install CD. I had to do it the other day with a friends laptop...
Old 08-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 85 IROC-Z
Engine: magflatoVE
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 411

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
Yes, unfortunately you cannot "downgrade" to XP from inside Windows Vista. You have to format the HDD and reinstall, however, most XP install CDs don't have the drivers for the SATA HDD, so you either need them on a floppy drive or "slipstream" them into a custom Windows XP install CD. I had to do it the other day with a friends laptop...
yes you can downgrade, well kinda of. here is what I did to my wife's laptop http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about88231.html

I hope this will help, Ivan
Old 09-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 357cid
Transmission: T5 Swap
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 7.5" 3.23 soon to be 3.73

are there any other programs to tune a megasquirt with?? i have a laptop with vista and i like vista over xp...
Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Ya. For MS-I there is megatunix, which is multi-platform and really really cool.

For MS-II, there is still only megatune. However, there are lots of people who get it to work... just expect trouble.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 357cid
Transmission: T5 Swap
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 7.5" 3.23 soon to be 3.73

lol trouble is my middle name.... i know the woes... ive had to trouble shoot alot of Vista problems on mine and my fiancee's computers... im a big gamer and vista dont like games.

biggest problem ive had so far is updating certain drivers.....

I dont mean to high jack the thread but realistically is MS II worth it over MS I

I plan on using it on my 357cid motor when i convert to TPI, i have a small dizzy from my TBI motor i suppose i could either buy a small cap MSD non CC dizzy or i could get MS II and contol the IGN timing..

I know MS II has a few more goodies over MS I as well....
Old 09-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Supreme Member

Biggest perk at this time that MS-II has is the increased timing and fuel resolution and the GM IAC driver (!).

You can use ms-I and the extra firmware to get 12x12 tables and timing control on ms-I... So the biggest advantage is the stepper motor driver and the increased processor speed and potential. The ms-I has pretty much reached its peak, while the ms-II is under active development.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

So far i am using tuner pro rt with vista ultimate and have not run into any problems as of yet. I have been running vista since January 07.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 AM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 383 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 9 bolt Posi

Just a friendly warning - I bought a tower recently with Vista and decided to format the hard drive and put XP on it. I then found out that very little of my hardware was recognized by XP and the manufacturer's ONLY HAVE VISTA DRIVERS!!! So... I ended up putting Vista back on

Maybe your laptops will be different - but I would look at the manufacturer's website to see if there are non-Vista drivers available PRIOR to formatting.

Just trying to help
Old 09-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Microsoft is VERY aggressivly pushing vista on everybody and abandoning everybody with XP. I find it very frustrating.

It's not the first time they tried to carpet bomb the market with an inferior product.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi

Originally Posted by Toehead
Microsoft is VERY aggressivly pushing vista on everybody and abandoning everybody with XP. I find it very frustrating.

It's not the first time they tried to carpet bomb the market with an inferior product.

Can anyone say Windows ME?

Vista probably won't be around long, a year at the most until Longhorn comes out, then everyone will have to go through the same pains getting tuning software to work. I know that I inquired about TunerCat working with a USB to serial adapter and was quickly told it would not work (this came from the guy who writes it) so I'm pretty much stuck with an older laptop to tune the LT1 with (which I don't mind, I know it works just fine).
Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 PM
TGO Supporter

my problem with older laptop is the batteries dont hold a charge during datalogging. replacement battery was very costly. as was an adapter to use 12V from car.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:48 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac

My datamaster would not load in Vista. I right clicked it, ran as Administrator, and was able to datalog fine.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:36 PM

yea have same problem with my accell dfi data logger being fighting with this for two weeks now "little help from dfi tech" it would seem that they could set-up their stuff to work with vista.considering they are suppose to be on the cutting edge. but funny got the gen-7 to work just fine. tried of busting up my laptop on those wheels -up passes. gotta find sollution. last pass cost me 1200.00 (new laptop)
Old 09-14-2007, 12:52 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts
Car: 1983 Trans Am
Engine: L69 5.0L HO
Transmission: Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by Klortho
Can anyone say Windows ME?

Vista probably won't be around long, a year at the most until Longhorn comes out, then everyone will have to go through the same pains getting tuning software to work. I know that I inquired about TunerCat working with a USB to serial adapter and was quickly told it would not work (this came from the guy who writes it) so I'm pretty much stuck with an older laptop to tune the LT1 with (which I don't mind, I know it works just fine).
Longhorn is the server version it won’t replace Vista but work along with it. I just finish evaluation Vista for deployment at the company I work for and decided against it. There are just too many little things that don’t work and a lot of user retraining. In short, a lot of work with little benefit.

I have an old Dell Inspiron 8200 with windows XP and it works just fine and that’s the way it will stay.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi

More than likely there will be a type of Longhorn to replace Vista since there are so many problems with Vista.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:08 AM

Car: 88 TA
Engine: 383
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 2.77

I got a hold of ALLDATA (not sure why, it really blows). It clearly states that the version I have as of Feb 2007 will not work with Vista. Yet, it does (at least the reference portion). Perhaps Vista updates have solved this.

TunerProRT runs fine on vista for real time monitoring, I haven't datalogged much with it thus yet. However, if laptop hibernates or screen saver comes on, TunerProRT freezes up, and task cannot be ended. (task manager). Have to restart Vista.

I have a slipstreamed XP disk with SATA drivers, and Acer has XP drivers for my laptop. However, I have found Vista, only slightly annoying once you revert it's appearance to classic, and dissable the darn USER account whatever crap. It has some difficulty printing to the USB laser printer attached to another PC running XP via network, and folder and drive permissions are a head scratcher to set up in Vista. There moved a lot of stuff around in Vista, for no gain IMHO.

But thus far, I haven't had the need to nuke Vista yet. I am not sure where to find out how to make it dual bootable with Vista already installed.

-Ryan