DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Which brand of ECM should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 liter, 350 V8
Transmission: 4 speed auto.
Which brand of ECM should I buy?

I need to get a new ECM for my 1990 Trans Am GTA (5.7 liter V8 TPI, automatic transmission).

So far, I have a choice of the following brands:

A1 Cardone

Niehoff

Standard Motor Products

or one from General Motors

I am looking for one that will work well for the next few years, because the car has only 44,000 miles on it, so I'll be driving it for a while.

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with any of these ECM brands?

Any suggestions of any brands I did not include on my list?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:17 AM

Re: Which brand of ECM should I buy?

I'm also interested in this as well, do you have prices and place to get these from? What, if any, are the the differences between them?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

They will all be a GM ECM. I know of no aftermarket direct replacement ECMs for GM.

Just like if you purchase a replacement head from one of those stores. It will be a rebuilt GM head.

RBob.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)

NO new ECM on the Market, all are rebuilt GM units and take your chances on how they were repaired.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:07 PM

It is true that there is no such thing as a "brand new computer"; they are all "rebuilt/re-manufactured".

Different companies rebuild/re-manufacture them.

GM dealerships sell them, but you have to contact them individually to see who offers the best price. Also, wherever you buy an ECM, check the warranty information and the store's return policy. Most places won't take an ECM back, unless it is defective or is the wrong one for your car. There are usually "core charges" involved too.

The GM website for AC-Delco parts is here:

http://198.208.187.182/internet/InternetMain.jsp

I found many of the ECMs, with prices, for my 1990 GTA, at Advance Auto Parts' website here:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...ngine+Computer

You can also check out these company websites for information and part numbers:

www.niehoff.com
www.cardone.com
www.smpcorp.com (Standard)

As far as quality of ECMs goes, I spoke to a couple of mechanics and they told me that any ECM brand would work. However, they told me that the Cardone models can sometimes have problems. They told me that the Standard ones are reliable, but that the best bet is an ECM from General Motors, because you can be sure it will meet GM standards.

Niehoff is a company that makes new electrical parts for new car makers like Ford, Land Rover, etc., so their ECMs may be good too.

It was also suggested to me that if you are going to replace the ECM, you may want to replace the PROM as well, just in case it may have something wrong with it.

Of course, everyone has different opinions, but this is what I found out so far about an ECM for my car.

Last edited by adreed24; 08-10-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 POS monte carlo 2015 chevy P/U
Engine: 92 5.7 tpi 5.3
Transmission: 700r4 6L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.42 too high

i have installed a good number of GM remans, i've a few that were defective.
most of the reman ECMs i have used are from A1, there have also been a few that were defective from them.
i don't remember using the other 2.
A1 has good prices, & you should get a warranty from the parts house you buy it from. i don't think A1 is much more than a boxing company, but i think who ever does their remans generally does a good job.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:30 AM

So hands down where is the best place to buy an ECU from? I have no ECU to send in as a core and I will have to buy a memcal, so that has to be figured in as well.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:25 AM

I am trying to decide myself. I have never bought an ECM before, so I don't know what to tell you about the memcal.

You don't need a core to buy a new ECM, but it would be cheaper for you. Just make sure that you buy the correct ECM for your car. If it is a GM car you're buying the ECM for, then go to the AC-Delco website I listed in my above, earlier posting.

I spoke to my mechanics again and they told me that if you are replacing an ECM in an old car, a "junker", or some car you are not going to keep for very long, then buy the cheaper computer, which would probably be the A1 Cardone.

If you are buying a computer for a low-mileage car or one you are going to keep for a good while, then go for the General Motors ECM, because you know it has to meet their standards.

As far as "where to buy the ECM", if you want the GM ECM, you have to go to a GM dealership; Chevy, Pontiac, etc. it doesn't matter, as long as it is a GM dealership. You can order items from GM online at their AC-Delco website.

If you want the A1 Cardone, the Niehoff, or the Standard, then you can go to Advance Auto parts, the store or on their website, which I gave above in an earlier posting. One mechanic I spoke with suggested going to a NAPA auto parts store, or to their website (www.napaonline.com). He told me they have good parts and good customer service.

Another suggestion I have is to visit the Niehoff-BWD website, which I gave above in an earlier posting. They have customer service/tech phone numbers, listed there, you can call to talk to their advisers about their ECMs and other electrical stuff. Go to the Niehoff site and choose "tech hotline".

I know this is a lot of information, but I hope some of it may help you.

Last edited by adreed24; 08-16-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:30 AM

Well, I done neither. I found a 1227730 with AUJP Memcal on ebay. The biding when a little crazy on that one so I went to the stores website and purchased one for $130. Its 100% tested and ready to go, 6 month warranty. They have sold quite a few on ebay and they have great feedback so I hope I have no problems.

The site is www.fuelinjectionconnection.com their ebay name is feulinjectionconnection.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 Camaro Z28/ 87 Camaro IROC Z28
Engine: 5.0L TPI LB9 / 5.0 TPI LB9 w/cam
Transmission: Built 700R4 with Transgo shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt Posi/ 2.73 10 bolt Posi

Both the MAF sensor and the ECM in my car were rebuilt by A1 Cardone, they seem to be pretty good. If any goes wrong, i can take them back and get another one.

I found this website sometime ago and it is interesting reading material, even though its not about ECM's, it will help shed some light on what these companies actually do with the cores:

http://www.idavette.net/hib/reman.html
Old 08-28-2007, 10:37 AM

Car: 89RS,89TBI FB, 91Z28, 89TPI FORMULA
Engine: 357 SBC TPI
Transmission: World Class T-5 (for now)
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt 3.73

These folks have yet to steer me wrong...

http://www.tpiparts.net/home
Old 08-29-2007, 10:49 PM

Last edited by Ripped; 08-31-2007 at 10:29 PM.