DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Gen 7 DFI Dual sync question.. How to I run a Crank sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: oldsmobile
Engine: 3.88
Transmission: yes
Axle/Gears: yes it has axles
Gen 7 DFI Dual sync question.. How to I run a Crank sensor??

Few questions here. Hwo accurate is the dual Sync distributor? I already had my car crap out on me once and the distributor died. They repaired it (so they said) and it still didnt work when i got it back( I looked inside and the components they said they changed still had all the marks on it as before).

ANyhow fast forward 2 weeks ago my motor siezed. With all the problems with the dual sync my builder is sort of pointing fingers at the dual sync distributor. I know hes sort of covering his butt but i can't help but agree a little. I've read elsewhere the dual sync isn't the most accurate setup.

SO.. WIth this rebuild I'd like to run a crank trigger setup On my LT4. Is the MSD setup the best way to go? How hard is this to work with the gen 7? Doesnt the dual sync give the crank AND cam signal? I'm confused at what is the best way to set the ignition system to be the Most accurate and reliable cost no object.

thanks for any input.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc
Engine: 402 twin turbo lsx
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: 9" 40 spline MW, with 3.25 gears
Re: Gen 7 DFI Dual sync question.. How to I run a Crank sensor??

I can t imagine how a timing problem would cause an engine to seize. Knock, pound the rod bearings out....yea, but you should find out about the problem long before you detonate that long. You can run a crank trigger , I dont like msd personally, but it really doesnt matter. A properly set up crank trigger is very accurate.

I havnt done a gen 7 on a lt4 but I do have a fast on one with a del tec. It works as expected, no problems.