DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

ecm bad? no code for problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro, 1986 Trans AM
Engine: V6 2.8 multi-port and V8 5.0 FI
Transmission: 5-Speed and Automatic
Axle/Gears: no idea
ecm bad? no code for problem?

i believe my car is skipping or misfiring and or backfiring.

due to some clogged/leaking injectors to my belief. still going through the troubleshooting process.

but i see in the error codes table theres a code for misfiring yet i dont get a code.

i have code 44 for lean o2 sensor.

car runs like total a$$. fresh spark plugs wires cap rotor ignition module etc...

and i suspect my knock sensor is giving my esc the wrong readings whihc is putting my timing out of wack.

but no code for knock sensor. i believe its bad because is the stock sensor and is most likely covered in oil from the valve covers leaking for god knows how long.

but all of this is just a hunch. but how the heck can you tell if anything is wrong with your ecm?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: ecm bad? no code for problem?

Should have a code 12 three times, before you retrieve any trouble codes. Most ECMs I have seen as bad, usually either throw a bunch of codes at once, or after trouble shooting, you find the ECM, or EPROM is faulty. What manual are you using? Try to get a specific manual for your car, like a Helms manual.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: Tweaked out 350
Transmission: tweaked 200r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: ecm bad? no code for problem?

Just a quick note from my experience with my small cap GM, EST, CCC system in myMonte SS.....Check the phase between the reluctor and the magnet. The reluctor is the 8point star inside the cap. You can pull the dist and look at it.. or...Do the following:
1. Pull the cap
2. Cut a slot or opening at the #1 post so you can see the rotor...
3. Put it back together and start the engine
4. Aim your timing light at the opening in the cap....
The timing should be right on the post...if it's not you have a phase problem. The spark will have to jump the extra gap between the post and rotor and when the computer adjust the timing, it jumps the next post or just overheats.
If you have a dialback light, you can dial the timing back to the post and it will tell you how far it's off. Mine was off by 33*..which amounted to about 1/16" at the magnet!!
Believe me!!!....I struggled all last summer and the winter troubleshooting backfiring, popping, banging, with no codes being stored....
I need to get this out there!!

Last edited by RodsRideSS; 05-12-2007 at 05:53 PM.