DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Accel dfi Gen7 timing during cranking?>

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 70 vette roadster
Engine: 383
Transmission: tremec 5spd
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Accel dfi Gen7 timing during cranking?>

Just got my system running and I noticed it has too much advance during cranking. I assume this is adjusted in the "start up term" area. Can someone explain how this works? The explanation in the manual didn't help. I assumed two things, the system is suposed to use 0 advance during cranking, and the 200 rpm timing doesn't do anythinng during cranking. Am I right in these assumptions?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: GTP
Engine: L67
It cranks at 0 degrees until the engine RPM exceeds the value in your Startup Term RPM table [Ignition Menu->Starting->Startup Term RPM]. Once you cross that RPM threshold, the values from your Base Advance and Startup Term tables are used to determine the timing.

If you are seeing something other than zero at cranking, make sure your Crank Index Offset table is filled out correctly for your setup. Use 0 if your sensor is indexed at TDC, otherwise the amount of offset goes in that table. If you're triggering with a distributor, it could be improperly phased, and you may be getting some crossfire.

If you have too much advance once the engine catches and begins to run, you can take it out by adjusting your Startup Term table from [Ignition Menu->Starting->Startup Term].