DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

is anyone here running Megasquirt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
is anyone here running Megasquirt?

is anyone here running Megasquirt in their 3rdgen?

the past two days, i started to seriously look into it.

i bought a holley commander ECM, but it turned out to be a dud... its $500 for a new ecm.

i have a excelent electronics background, and i believe its well within my abilitys to build the MS unit and stimulator...

what i dont see is any in depth talk of the end results after using it awhile..

how happy are you with the end result? how does it run? easy to tune? do you reccomend it for a daily driver?

this car will see some cross country road trips, and it is a daily driver.

it will be boosted... many times. diffrent ways. i dont want to post about future plans now, but i will say that its NA right this second because its carbed. once its EFI, it will be supercharged, and after that, its going turbo.

heres my biggest question.. its also one of the easiest.
where can i get the correct oil/heat resistant wire, in multiple colors to make my harness with for a reasonable cost?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: is anyone here running Megasquirt?

Originally posted by MrDude_1

this car will see some cross country road trips, and it is a daily driver.

it will be boosted... many times. diffrent ways. i dont want to post about future plans now, but i will say that its NA right this second because its carbed. once its EFI, it will be supercharged, and after that, its going turbo.

heres my biggest question.. its also one of the easiest.
where can i get the correct oil/heat resistant wire, in multiple colors to make my harness with for a reasonable cost?
IMO, then you want to use an oem ecm. Being able to carry a $25 spare, and get another if necessary is mandatory for a real road trip worthy car.

There's lots of info for using the Syclone calibration.

A junkyard. Talk to the management, and see what'll cost. Usually $10-25 will get you enough for 2 harnesses. Yep, PITA to clean it all up, but then you usually wind up with all sorts of spare connectors.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Re: is anyone here running Megasquirt?

Originally posted by Grumpy
IMO, then you want to use an oem ecm. Being able to carry a $25 spare, and get another if necessary is mandatory for a real road trip worthy car.

There's lots of info for using the Syclone calibration.

A junkyard. Talk to the management, and see what'll cost. Usually $10-25 will get you enough for 2 harnesses. Yep, PITA to clean it all up, but then you usually wind up with all sorts of spare connectors.
i was going to go that route.
at home i even have a 91 camaro TPI harness and the 730ECM.. i just need a memcal.

but looking past the "big names" in GM-EFI, i can see that most people are moderately successful at best.

i donno, theres somthing to having a extremely simple system.. its easier to tune.. and while technicly, its not as accurate as a more advanced system tweeked out, the results (realisticly with my abilitys) are probly better with the simpler system.. just because i have minimal changes to make, less chance of messing somthing up.

for the price of a autoprom or promanator or burner or whatever, i can have a complete ECM. and the harness is so simple that i can even post it below.

i donno.. it actually sounds easier to build the ECM and use it then it is to make the TY/SY code work.
i know you've been working on modded code of some sort, is it any easier to use?
Attached Thumbnails is anyone here running Megasquirt?-wiring.gif  
Old 08-13-2004, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 RS Camaro
Engine: 406ci D1SC SBC
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 9" W/Truetrac
I really like the look of the Megasquirt.I'm starting totally from scratch with my engine so wiring up a Megasquirt looks very easy.It does help that I'm an electrical engineer and deal with controls wiring a lot.The cable I'm going to use is tri-rated panel wiring cable.It's actually a lot better quality than the standard auto stuff.I'm only a beginner at this,and I like the fact that the Megasquirt has a very hands on approach to building,wiring and using it.Personally I think I'll get a much better understanding of how it all works than I would buying a ready to roll set-up.Let us know how you get on with it.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
I am running a Mega Squirt on my Camaro. Mr. dude I can remember in earlier posts when you kind of turned your nose to Mega Squirt.

(11-5-2003) i guy ive been talking to online for years now has that on his chainsaw or lawnmower or somthing.... i remember he had it on some small yard/garden engine.....

seems neat... id run it on somthing like a VW bug.... but not a V8 camaro.. you have so many much better options...

I would be glad to answer any questions on it though. I can get as in depth as you want.

Here is my set-up.

engine:flat top hypereutectic antifriction/heat coated 9.8:1 CR. bored .030 over. deck milled .010 All ARP bolts and studs Moly rings. Double roller timing chain, LT4 "Hot" cam .525 lift and 518/528 duration at .050, Comp cams pushrods, 1.6 roller rockers, Trick Flow Specialties Kenny Dutteweiler aluminum heads, Total emissions delete

tranny:Heavy duty T-5 with a spare T-5.

exhaust:Hooker Super Competition Long tube Ceramic coated headers. TRUE dual exhaust. Cheap glass pack muflers

Ignition: MSD everything with 6A box.

Air/fuel: Holley (Walbro) 49 lbs lbs per hour fuel pump, stainless steel braided 6-AN line Accel 30 lbs/hr injectors. Holley AFPR. Stealth ram with AFPR

ECM: Mega Squirt stand alone fuel managment

rear end: Borg Warner nine bolt with 3.45 and discs

suspension: Energy suspension.

I have a good tune right now. It will get better once I get my hands on a WBO2. The Baud rate of MS is just awesome. I can get thousands of data points from jut driving around the block, although I live in the country. If I remember correctly in a 0-60 TBI gets 2-3 data points and TPI gets 13-15 and MS can get easily 30. The software is very powerfull also. Bruce, Al abd Lance are in the process of making the new version 3 board and the new chip. These new items will make MS an ECM that can control the factory distributor and factory IAC valve. The new tables will also be 16x16 instead of 8x8. If you want a MS system wait aout a month, maybe two, and get the new ones. They are still in testing stages, if you get lucky he might let you test one. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Tibo
I am running a Mega Squirt on my Camaro. Mr. dude I can remember in earlier posts when you kind of turned your nose to Mega Squirt.

(11-5-2003) i guy ive been talking to online for years now has that on his chainsaw or lawnmower or somthing.... i remember he had it on some small yard/garden engine.....

seems neat... id run it on somthing like a VW bug.... but not a V8 camaro.. you have so many much better options...

I would be glad to answer any questions on it though. I can get as in depth as you want.

Here is my set-up.

engine:flat top hypereutectic antifriction/heat coated 9.8:1 CR. bored .030 over. deck milled .010 All ARP bolts and studs Moly rings. Double roller timing chain, LT4 "Hot" cam .525 lift and 518/528 duration at .050, Comp cams pushrods, 1.6 roller rockers, Trick Flow Specialties Kenny Dutteweiler aluminum heads, Total emissions delete

tranny:Heavy duty T-5 with a spare T-5.

exhaust:Hooker Super Competition Long tube Ceramic coated headers. TRUE dual exhaust. Cheap glass pack muflers

Ignition: MSD everything with 6A box.

Air/fuel: Holley (Walbro) 49 lbs lbs per hour fuel pump, stainless steel braided 6-AN line Accel 30 lbs/hr injectors. Holley AFPR. Stealth ram with AFPR

ECM: Mega Squirt stand alone fuel managment

rear end: Borg Warner nine bolt with 3.45 and discs

suspension: Energy suspension.

I have a good tune right now. It will get better once I get my hands on a WBO2. The Baud rate of MS is just awesome. I can get thousands of data points from jut driving around the block, although I live in the country. If I remember correctly in a 0-60 TBI gets 2-3 data points and TPI gets 13-15 and MS can get easily 30. The software is very powerfull also. Bruce, Al abd Lance are in the process of making the new version 3 board and the new chip. These new items will make MS an ECM that can control the factory distributor and factory IAC valve. The new tables will also be 16x16 instead of 8x8. If you want a MS system wait aout a month, maybe two, and get the new ones. They are still in testing stages, if you get lucky he might let you test one. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

dont get me wrong, i still stand by my orignal statement.. there are better ECMs out there...but none for the price... plus i love building stuff lol.
if i had a unlimited budget, i would already have the holley ECM, or a accell DFI unit, or some other aftermarket ECM... but my budget is shrinking as i do more "other stuff" with my life, so i think this is a better solution. the total plan envoles two boxes.. the megasquirt for the ecm... and later on when i have more time and money, i'll put a Megajolt Lite Jr controlled EDIS ignition in. that way i not only will i have full spark control, and better igniton timing and better ignition power... but i'll also have MAP controlled and RPM controlled switches for other functions.

ive read almost every megasquirt thing i could find thats posted online, and as much ultramegasquirt stuff as i could find...
i never did read a release date for it though....

what bugs me about the ultramegasquirt (hereafter called the UMS because thats a really long name) is how it uses surface mount devices.
i HATE surface mount stuff. it sucks to work with, it sucks to solder. if it was all done by machine and i just had to solder the regular thru board components, that would be fine... hopefully thats the route they take.

anyhoo, my first question is pretty simple.. where did you get the several diffrent colors of wire needed for the MS hookup? if i have to buy a diffrent spool for each color, it'll add up quick...
i have a friend who can get me the needed weatherpack connectors.. so thats not a problem, but what about the special connectors to goto the injectors? where did you source thoes from?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Supreme Member

Mr. Dude,
Bruce and Al pretty much designed MS for their TPI powered Jaguar. So they made it VERY GM friendly. It allows for the stock GM components to be used. They only excluded the MAT and coolant sensor as they use different resistors. You can just take a harness, connectors, wires and sensors from any GM MPFI. Although it is always advised that you buy new sensors. I used a MAF TPI harness and part of my old TBI harness. The wires are the correct gauge they call for.

Ms allows you to do pretty much whatever you want. It will use surface mount devices. I like that though. Easier to spot problems, my opinion of course. Flip the board over to see solder connections, flip it over to see the workings. My other opinion thughis that MSII will be better than mega jolt, simply because of the less cost and modification to install.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:18 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Z28tt
Engine: Dart Little M Twin Turbo
Transmission: T56
MRDude - what software did you use to make that schematic?

A.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by askulte
MRDude - what software did you use to make that schematic?

A.
i didnt make it, i found it on one of the megasquirt sites.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '85 Camaro
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: T-5
Interested, but confused

I don't have an electronic background, but I can follow instructions.

Am I looking at this right that for about half the full boat price of a SuperRam I can get the intake and injetors and such and control it with the Megasquirt?

Since it only controls the fuel how does one handle the emissions components?

This thing sounds awesome for someone willing to trade some elbow grease for a high dollar doodad that very few know how to modify.

How is it during part throttle cruising? Can you drop the hammer and fly?

I am very interested if it means I don't have to spend $3500 to turn my carbed intake into a fuel injected one.

Jason
Old 09-06-2004, 12:59 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Interested, but confused

Originally posted by jrg77
I don't have an electronic background, but I can follow instructions. You will need to know or learn about electronics before you start this or seriously consider it.

Am I looking at this right that for about half the full boat price of a SuperRam I can get the intake and injetors and such and control it with the Megasquirt? That is totally dependant on what you buy and break.

Since it only controls the fuel how does one handle the emissions components? It doesn't. If you want it to, you will have to piggy back it on, leave that part of the computer on.

This thing sounds awesome for someone willing to trade some elbow grease for a high dollar doodad that very few know how to modify. Everyone who fools with DIY fuel injection knows how to modify this, it is easy providing you have a solid understanding of elctronics and engine theory.

How is it during part throttle cruising? Can you drop the hammer and fly? Depends on your tuning time and skills. If they are good then yes. If you are bad at tuning and low on patience then pass up Mega Squirt.

I am very interested if it means I don't have to spend $3500 to turn my carbed intake into a fuel injected one. For a used TPI setup and Mega Squirt stuff you are probably looking at $1,000-1,500.

Jason
Old 09-06-2004, 10:15 PM

Car: '70 Chevelle, '63 Corvette
Engine: 383, 327
Transmission: B&M 700r4, Muncie M-21

ive read almost every megasquirt thing i could find thats posted online, and as much ultramegasquirt stuff as i could find...
i never did read a release date for it though....

what bugs me about the ultramegasquirt (hereafter called the UMS because thats a really long name) is how it uses surface mount devices.
i HATE surface mount stuff. it sucks to work with, it sucks to solder. if it was all done by machine and i just had to solder the regular thru board components, that would be fine... hopefully thats the route they take.
UltraMegaSquirt (UMS) isn't out yet and won't be for a little while. MegaSquirt II (MSII) is almost out and will offer much of the UMS functionality. MSII is just an upgrade to a regular MS. (pop out the CPU chip, drop in the MSII daughtercard into original MS CPU socket) Check out www.msefi.com MSII will offer the spark control currently lacking in MS and should be a more complete package.

anyhoo, my first question is pretty simple.. where did you get the several diffrent colors of wire needed for the MS hookup? if i have to buy a diffrent spool for each color, it'll add up quick...
i have a friend who can get me the needed weatherpack connectors.. so thats not a problem, but what about the special connectors to goto the injectors? where did you source thoes from? [/B]
For wiring, check out RS Autosport. Lots of wire, color coded, and labeled. Hard to beat for $55. For the injector clips, I went to the junkyard and got them from some mid 90s GM V6s. I'm still putting it all together.

-Dave
Old 11-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: sbc 400
Transmission: th350
i just ordered up a megasquirt setup last night. the greatest part of this system from what i've seen is the simplicity. whatever kinda of sensors you want (and all the gm parts can be had for under $10 a piece). complete tunability with little knowledge of efi. many people are working on DIY spark control as well (like using the ford setup). even better (for my case) is that most of the equipment can be installed without taking the car off the road (if you've got a carb setup like i do). on top of things, i still have all of my fuel system still installed except for the tbi unit and the sensors are all still in place.

so why this over burning your own tbi chips (especially in my situation)? ease would be my best answer. on the fly tuning, no need to buy and additional programmer (which is around the same price as the entire ecu), and adaptability. if i want to convert to a tpi type setup down the line, the only thing i really gotta change is the injectors and the intake.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:12 PM

Woo hoo, someone else has jumped on board. I'll agree with Mr_Dude1 that you don't seem to hear much from people with successful installs. However, you also dont seem to hear people bitching about how bad it sucks. I'm sure Holley or Accel don't get many calls on the tech line with people telling them how good the product is performing. If it's working well, people just continue using it.

Tibo -- how long have you been running MS on your Camaro? You have any 1/4 mile times?

I too like the hands-on approach, as I now understand how the entire system works and feel confident I'll be able to troubleshoot any problems. I have no electronics-building background and was able to solder mine together in about 8-10 hours. It even worked the first time.. :-)

I'm hoping to finish my install here in the next couple weeks. Converting from a carb is a little more involved than converting from an existing EFI setup. All my wiring is done, working on the fuel system now.

http://megasquirt.studly.net has a few pics of my work so far.

-Dave
Old 11-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Supreme Member

chevelle - quick question for you. how is your alt wired? i never dove too much into some of the stock wiring, so maybe i could figure it out. what is the pinout for the connectors? thanks man. good to see another chevy guy with this kinda setup.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by CAMp3RO
chevelle - quick question for you. how is your alt wired? i never dove too much into some of the stock wiring, so maybe i could figure it out. what is the pinout for the connectors? thanks man. good to see another chevy guy with this kinda setup.
This is not the 'stock' alternator for this car. I used this page, http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html as my guide for installing this alternator. It's a CS130 alternator for a long water pump style. As suggested on that web page, I used the part # for an '88 Olds Firenza w/ EFI and A/C, to get the correct mounting pattern for my car. It has all the wiring info, too.

Hope this helps..

-Dave
Old 11-07-2004, 06:52 AM
Supreme Member

thanks for the info. my car's an 89, so i already had that style of alt. my biggest concern was how i would wire it if i ever pulled the stock ecu and wiring harness (which may be coming closer).
Old 11-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by ChevelleFan

Tibo -- how long have you been running MS on your Camaro? You have any 1/4 mile times?
http://megasquirt.studly.net has a few pics of my work so far.

-Dave
You look to be coming along great! If you are going to leave the ecu on the floor I would recomend wraping it with electrical tape and using something for a gasket on the metal case. I have had it on and running since June. If it would help you out I could send you my tables and enrichments to get you going better. If you send me your engine specs I could make a rough table that would be a little better of a starting point. Are you a member of the msefi boards. I have the same name there. I do not have any 1/4 mile times, but it is very fun to drive. MSII is set to make it's debut around Christmas!!! If you ever need any help with it do not hesitate to ask.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:12 PM

You look to be coming along great! If you are going to leave the ecu on the floor I would recomend wraping it with electrical tape and using something for a gasket on the metal case. I have had it on and running since June. If it would help you out I could send you my tables and enrichments to get you going better. If you send me your engine specs I could make a rough table that would be a little better of a starting point. Are you a member of the msefi boards. I have the same name there. I do not have any 1/4 mile times, but it is very fun to drive. MSII is set to make it's debut around Christmas!!! If you ever need any help with it do not hesitate to ask.
I'm not going to leave it on the floor there, but I decided that the location on the hump there would be nice if I ever had to inspect or troubleshoot. Once it is all tuned in, I'll either tuck it up under the dash on the in glove compartment.

I'll keep your offer of table, enrichments, etc on the table. I'm gonna try my best to work it on my own, just to see if I can do it. But who knows, I might need a little advice down the road.

Yep, I'm on the msefi boards too, same name. Other stuff has been getting in the way of my progress, like raking leaves today.. ugh.

I'm really looking forward to MSII. Full spark and fuel control! I'll probably upgrade to MSII when I get my Holley StealthRam.

-Dave
Old 11-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

I'll probably upgrade to MSII when I get my Holley StealthRam.

-Dave
I already am there! You will be pleased with those results. But I will caution you that when you buy the intake look it over very closly for imperfections that could cause a problem. The Stealth Ram is known for problems. I personally have had Three.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Supreme Member

whats even better is that with the msII, it looks like it will be 100% compatible with our stock, 7-pin distros. and luckily, i've still got mine sitting in the garage.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

since all you megasquirt fans are looking in here, i have a spare megasquirt assembled and ready to use.. its up for sale if someone needs it. just PM me

im starting to get into microcontrollers more... at first i was going to use this 2nd megasquirt as a BCM computer, but after i started going deeper into it, im trying to use a very small (keyfob sized) box with a PIC processor in it. the MS was kinda overkill for the simple things i want to do.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:51 PM

Ok, I feel kinda stupid for asking, but what's a BCM computer?

-Dave
Old 11-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, I feel kinda stupid for asking, but what's a BCM computer?

-Dave
body control module.. in newer OEM cars, its what controls everything else for inside the car, and usually also talks to the PCM (powertrain control module)...
Old 11-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Supreme Member

since all you megasquirt fans are looking in here, i have a spare megasquirt assembled and ready to use.. its up for sale if someone needs it. just PM me

im starting to get into microcontrollers more... at first i was going to use this 2nd megasquirt as a BCM computer, but after i started going deeper into it, im trying to use a very small (keyfob sized) box with a PIC processor in it. the MS was kinda overkill for the simple things i want to do.
Do you have all of the materials or have you already assembled it? I would like to know more. Aspare would not be a bad idea.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Supreme Member

Do you have all of the materials or have you already assembled it? I would like to know more. Aspare would not be a bad idea.
its already assembled and working.