DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

ECM Assembly Launguage

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break
ECM Assembly Launguage

I'm getting my feet wet by reading up on the processor command set and such.
There are a few starting questions I have on the operation as it pertains to the 730 ecm.
1.) is there a limit of the number of items that can be polled for data to be sent out the comunication line? (up to the time limit restrictions of execution)
2.) does anyone have the memory mapped out for some of the basic function so I can tell where the data is coming from when loading to the accumulator? Just a few basic operations to get a better feel for how the code is executing.
3.) The OP codes in the manual are a little confusing to me in how they are represented. Do they need to execute the whole series of codes to perform the one function listed?
4.) I don't see how to call the register I want to use, Do I have to load into A from a location, then Load to B, then add, then move result to location?
5.) how are the actual i/o referenced? I 'm not seeing a clear addressing schem (yet) is there something in front of my nose that I am just not seeing? (digitals and analog channels)

Like I said, I'm just getting into it and need a push in the right direction.
I'm more familiar with PLC operations and programming, this is taking a leap into the dark for me and am beginning to like higher levels of language just for the ease of working with the data.
It's not so much figuring out the logic as it is looking at the code and reading ten reference books at the same time to figure it out.
If anyone can give me some pointers here I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
JP
Old 05-12-2004, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: GTP
Engine: L67
With assembly language, you pretty much need to learn how the hardware of the microcontroller functions before you can learn how to program it. You're better off looking someplace like here to find the mcu that you are interested in, then downloading the documentation -- data sheets , technical info, and programmer's reference guide. Maybe even better off getting a book on assembly language programming. It's not something that you can figure out very easily just by looking at it.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:42 AM

Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
I think that this will answer most of your questions:

http://www.moates.net/files/5)%20Sou...s/anht_hac.pdf

It is commented code for the '90 Vette running the $8D mask in a '730. Most likely the same mask you have in the TPI setup.

It is a Motorola processor (a 68HC11 varient) with I/O set up as memory locations. The first 512 memory locations are RAM. The SPI devices are in the $4xxx block, the ECM hardware is in the $3Fxx block, the EPROM is from $8000-$FFFF.

Stuff in the $5xxx area is for external hardware that gets connected to the expansion connector (service port).

RBob.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break
Thanks

Thanks to both of you, I have some studying to do.
I am running the $8D and will look at the addressing of the I/O and compareto the hac.
That will get my head on straight to go deeper.