DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Calmap GEN 7+ Software

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Firebird
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4, lots of Mods
Calmap GEN 7+ Software

Hello all,
I just had a superram and Gen VII DFI installed. The shop installed the equipment, big mistake, I should have done it. Anyway, I have two questions; the mech. told me he locked the GEN VII ECU bin so I could not modify it. If this is true, (I haven't checked yet) is anyway around this? (there must be a way)

Also what is the difference between the Calmap STD and Pro. Software? If the shop used Pro does this mean I need to purchase the Pro edition to unlock the bin?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Brad
San Deigo
Old 05-14-2003, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: GTP
Engine: L67
Standard shows you about 75 percent of all calibration screens. Pro shows everything. Most screens in the Pro version are not needed for typical (non-exotic) applications. Pro screens allow finer tuning of Idle and IAC response, more detailed acceleration fueling tuning, and a couple of other things that I can't remember right now. For the latest Gen 7+, you will need a parallel-port key to be able to use either version of the software, so be sure that your dealer gave you one.

As for locking your calibration, this is possible. Access can be restricted to a limited number of calibration tables, but not cut off completely. Worst case, you can blow out the dealer's calibration by overwriting it with the sample calibration provided with your software (or any other calibration file that you may come by). This would remove the dealer's password, and allow you access to everything.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:23 PM

Car: Firebird
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4, lots of Mods
aDFIguy,

Thanks for the info, if they did put a password on there, would I be able to view the calibration table, if so then I can do a print screen and put those values into a new calibration table, like you said just overwrite the dealers table?

If unable to read the dealers table and I do overwrite it, how hard would if be to get the car running as good as now?
Old 05-15-2003, 06:17 AM

It depends. You may or not be able to view various maps, depending on how the dealer set the password. If you can view them, you will be able to save them as individual files for use later. If they have locked you out of as much as they can, then you won't be able to see very many maps at all.

If you erase the dealer calibration and start over with the sample calibration, you will have quite a bit of work to get back to where your dealer put you (depending on your calibration abilities). You might try asking around to see if you can find anyone with a gen 7 and a combo similar to yours. That would give you a good starting point.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by aDFIguy
Standard shows you about 75 percent of all calibration screens. Pro shows everything. Most screens in the Pro version are not needed for typical (non-exotic) applications. Pro screens allow finer tuning of Idle and IAC response, more detailed acceleration fueling tuning, and a couple of other things that I can't remember right now.
If it's typical, why would anyone need an aftermarket ecm?.
I thought the aftermarket stuff was to be able to taylor things for the exotic combos..

Sounds more like just a way for parting a customer from his money.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:11 AM

I thought the aftermarket stuff was to be able to taylor things for the exotic combos..
...yeah, they pick right up where the OEM stuff runs out of gas!

(JUST KIDDING).

Actually Grumpy, wouldn't your creation be considered more of an aftermarket piece, since you are rewriting the code and all? I wonder if there isn't some kind of a business opportunity waiting for you in buying OEM PCMs, dumping your custom code and tune into them, then remarketing them?
Old 05-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by aDFIguy
...yeah, they pick right up where the OEM stuff runs out of gas!

(JUST KIDDING).

Actually Grumpy, wouldn't your creation be considered more of an aftermarket piece, since you are rewriting the code and all? I wonder if there isn't some kind of a business opportunity waiting for you in buying OEM PCMs, dumping your custom code and tune into them, then remarketing them?
Can't be aftermarket since there is no market.

While my ecm is kind of neat, it's way too involved for the average Joe to do. So I found a slightly newer ecm, and am working on developing the source code for that. Then folks will have a really slick alternative.
And it'll be free.
Add a Romulator, and it's on the fly tuning.
So then for about $400 TOTAL, someone can do anything they want. P+H injector driver would add to the bill.

I'm not in this for the money.