DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Accel Power Processor help and questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accel Power Processor help and questions

I am looking for some in depth information about this device.. I bought it fairly cheap, it came with nothing but the computer itself
(no software, cable, or books). I did a search and found some info but not enough, I also did search accel's site and from what I gather there they dont support these anymore (with version 6.32 of the calmap)

I have a TPI engine from an 85 Trans Am, I have the entire harness and everything needed to put it in my project (non fbody)

I think the Accel Power Processor was intended for 86 later ecm's.. true or false?

Also if anyone has an extra cable that hooks it to a laptop, and version 6.0 of the software. (I think thats the last one that supported it) would you be willing to sell it/them..

Thanks in advance for any information

-Darius
1985 Camaro Z28 "Silver Bullet Edition" - deceased (Stolen)
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT - Gettin a V8 Current project
Old 04-23-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Power Processor was a piggy-back unit that worked in conjuction with the factory ECU. It worked very similir to the full DFI boxes with the use of the Calmap software. Unlike the full DFI, the Power Processor left functions such as EGR, converter lock-up, etc to the factory ECU. It was made primarily for the MASS AIR equipped TPI Vettes, Camaros and Firebirds. It WILL NOT work with SPEED DENSITY equipped motors. The Power Processor was also made to do convert these MASS AIR equipped cars to SPEED DENSITY. Accel provided everything to do the swap with only one wire that you would have to splice into. I recall the install taking less than 30 min all together, including having to remove the MASS Sensor adding in the harness and MAP sensor to convert to SPEED DENSITY.
The idea was very good, but unless the car was operating at WOT, timing was left to the factory ECU and you were only able to play withe the fuel. The Power Processor took over fuel and timing functions at WOT. This reduced the flexibility of the DFI at non-WOT operation.
Accel limited the capabilities as to not take away from the flagship full DFI 6.0 boxes. They took away the staged NOS function and a few other utilities that were available on the full units. They also sold for half the price of the full DFI boxes. In the early 90's I recall paying under $399 for one from Jegs. Again, very good idea if Accel had continued developing the Power Processor. Imagine a direct plug-in, piggy back unit that would have allowed on-the-fly tuning, real-time scanning, data logging and record and half the price of the DFI. That would have been very cool.
Just like the full DFI's, the Power Processor used the Calmap software via the laplink cable. Version 6.32 did support the Power Processor but you just couldn't use the newer utilities they gave to the full boxes. The laplink cable from Accel is too overpriced. Go to www.fasttrackperformance.com for the cable. They make a cable for half the price of what Accel charges. Calmap v6.32 is available from the Mr. Gasket/Accel website for free. Just like the full DFI's, the Power Processor will only talk to laptops running with Pentium 166 or slower CPUs. Anything faster than a Pentium 166 will result in a communication error.
If you purchased the unit with out the piggy back harness, you're probable SOL. Accel discontinued the Power Processor in the mid - late 90's, so you'll have to make the piggy back. The harness to convert to SPEED DENSITY is the same one used for converting to SPEED DENSITY for the 6.0 DFI and you can get those from www.fasttrackperformance.com and www.whiteracing.com . The MAP sensor is the same one used by the LT-1 Camaros, Firebirds and Vettes.
Hope this helps...
Old 04-23-2003, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that helps...

I do have the small harness that would jump from the ECM to the Power Processor (like 1 ft long), just not the one from the PP to the laptop, so thanks for getting me those links where i can get the laptop cable at..

one more quick question....
So it should work on a 85 ECM?

-Darius
Old 04-24-2003, 04:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 85 iroc,96 z28,96 Ram 2500,69RR
Engine: 383 with AFR heads.
Transmission: richmond 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 1991 w/1LE.auburn pro series.2.73's
negative-works with a 165 ecm only. i do have calmap 5.0, 6.0, 6.2 if you need a copy 6.0 seems to be the happiest with the p.p. back when i was playing around with that box . it is a pretty good setup actually, especially if your maf unit were to take a poop.