DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

No start, no fuel, electric problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 25th Anny Daytona 500 T/A
Engine: Stock...inoperative... 305
Transmission: Automatic
No start, no fuel, electric problem

My tale of woe...
Last fall while driving the car ('83 pace car) it died and would not restart. Had it towed home. Initial troubleshooting told me I had an electrical problem because I could see the injectors squirting fuel (CFI) and the engine turned over easily, but would not start. I let it sit over the winter. Started troubleshooting last month and found out the coil checked bad. Replaced coil and when I tried to start it, it would turn over easily, but now I'm not getting any fuel out of the injectors. Replaced the ignition module with same results. Also noticed today that the engine dash instrument needles move, but I'm not getting any idiot lights at all. The fuel pump does run (can hear it), and I get fuel out of the tubing at the injectors.
Anybody have any idea what to check next? Can I troubleshoot the computer, or is that beyond the realm of a driveway mechanic? I've looked thru about four different manuals and they aren't much help...
Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by ops32; 04-05-2003 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28 heritage
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5
If this car sat over the winter, then I would flush out the fuel in the car because is has probably turned to varnish. If the pump is running, but the injector isn't firing, the injector pintle could be stuck. Seeing that you saw fuel leaving the injector last fall but not now, I doubt that the computer went bad during that time. It sounds like your problem is at the injectors. You can try to unstick them be "deadheading" the pump. With a pair of hose pinch-off pliers, find the fuel return line and pinch it off. IMPORTANT: When you are doing this, the fuel pressure will skyrocket, so only pinch it off for about about a second at a time. Pulse it, you know...one second pinched, three seconds opened. This could unstick the injectors if the pintle is stuck. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, be careful when you are doing this because you could screw something up. Give this a try and come back with the results, we can go from there.