DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

can someone tell my why my injectors aren't firing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can someone tell my why my injectors aren't firing?

Didn't know if this fit in the TPI board or here, so I posted it in both. I just put an L98 in my L03 car and it won't start. I've narrowed the cause down to being that the injectors aren't firing. I have power to the ECM and I get a code 12 but nothing to the injectors. I used a volt meter to check the current and it's 0 both at the injector plug and the terminals on the ECM itself. What would cause this and what is the fix? I've tried 2 ECM's. The one that came with the motor and one out of a friends car that is known to be good.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: can someone tell my why my injectors aren't firing?

Originally posted by Nasty_Bird_'90
Didn't know if this fit in the TPI board or here, so I posted it in both. I just put an L98 in my L03 car and it won't start. I've narrowed the cause down to being that the injectors aren't firing. I have power to the ECM and I get a code 12 but nothing to the injectors. I used a volt meter to check the current and it's 0 both at the injector plug and the terminals on the ECM itself. What would cause this and what is the fix? I've tried 2 ECM's. The one that came with the motor and one out of a friends car that is known to be good.
Does it have VATS?.
Is it bypassed?.
Bruce
Old 03-02-2003, 09:53 AM
Supreme Member

Re: can someone tell my why my injectors aren't firing?

I used a volt meter to check the current and it's 0 both at the injector plug and the terminals on the ECM itself. What would cause this and what is the fix? I've tried 2 ECM's. The one that came with the motor and one out of a friends car that is known to be good.

Dugh, I dozed on that first response.

You should have power to one side of the injector, just checking at the connector, with it off.

The ecm gounds the injector for it to fire.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first ECM I had was an '88 so it had VATS but it was working fine. The security light came on for a few seconds then shut off. The second ECM is an '86 so IIRC, it hasn't got VATS. The code 12 means that the ECM is functioning properly, right? So why is there no power to the injectors? I checked the lt. green and lt. blue wires at the ECM connector that feed the injectors and they aren't putting out anything. What gives?
Old 03-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

The first ECM I had was an '88 so it had VATS but it was working fine. The security light came on for a few seconds then shut off. The second ECM is an '86 so IIRC, it hasn't got VATS. The code 12 means that the ECM is functioning properly, right? So why is there no power to the injectors? I checked the lt. green and lt. blue wires at the ECM connector that feed the injectors and they aren't putting out anything. What gives?
The VATS option is in the chip, not the ecm.

Code 12 just means the processor is awake. You can still have a jillion problems, and have a code 12.

The ecm supplies a GROUND path for the injectors to fire.

With the key on,
injector connector UNPLUGGED,
one terminal should have POWER.

Power on there should be power at the injector leads at the ecm.