DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

This thing is killing me.. Accel Gen 7

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 7.4 L of Small Block Fun...
This thing is killing me.. Accel Gen 7

I got my fuel pump issue worked out the pump itself was sticking but now on to bigger and better problems.

Once I got the pump working confirmed 39 psi at the fuel rail I went to fire it up, it started on the first revolution but ran sorta rough no big deal went to set the timing got it in the ballpark when I noticed a great deal of black smoke. It was running real rough after about 3 minutes it stalled. I pulled the plugs they were carbon fouled and wet. I cleaned them up fired it back up and it died after about a minute. I pulled them again and it would not start, an occasional bump but not running the fuel smell was intense and the plugs were soaking wet.

I called a buddy over who is a wiz with the 6.x version and he began to suspect an injector problem, we pulled one lead off the #1 injector hooked up a injector test bulb and turned the key on. Well it lite up bright and steady, turned key off and it went out, back on and bright.... we then hooked up a multimeter to the plug and we have full battery voltage to the injectors

What is going on here, everything is hooked up correctly and we are at a loss...

Thanks
Old 08-16-2002, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: GTP
Engine: L67
Are you certain that the switched ignition voltage and battery voltage leads are not tied together? Be very sure that anything labeled "+12V Switched" or "+12V SW" is tied to your switched ignition voltage. Anything not explicitly labeled as switched should be connected to your battery's positive terminal. The power to your injectors should come off of a fused link from your (unswitched) battery positive connection.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:51 AM
RCR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '84 Fiero ('01 GA interior)
Engine: '96 4.0 Aurora
Transmission: '96 4T80E
The injectors are tied to battery through a fuse. They are hot all the time. The ECM pulls one side low to fire the injector. Check to make sure you're using the light correctly. Although it seems like your injectors are on a lot.