Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Coolant disappearing - intake gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2024, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: TH700
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Coolant disappearing - intake gaskets?

Hi guys,

I have a 1988 trans am gta with the 350 TPI. I have owned it for four months and it has always had a slight coolant leak. I have maybe added two three pints of coolant during the 300 miles or so I have driven it

There is not really signs of any leaks apart from some tiny puddles on the passenger side of the intake manifold. Do you think this is the intake manifold gasket that is leaking or could it be something else? Car otherwise run fine and doesn't overheat. And no sign of water in the oil or white smoke from the exhaust.

Thanks!
​​​​​​
Picture below of the manifold.

Old 08-21-2024, 01:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 450 Likes on 326 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi
Re: Coolant disappearing - intake gaskets?

Could be a head gasket or an intake gasket leaking into an intake port. Such a small amount of loss would be tough to track down.

Old 08-21-2024, 03:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

tiny puddles on the passenger side of the intake manifold
Sounds like you already know what's wrong and don't want to face up to it. Which I can't blame you for that, fixing it is not very pleasant. However, the only way for it to get ON TOP OF the intake, is via the bolts; butt the only way for it to get THERE, is a failed intake gasket. So, after car-washing all that schmutz off of your intake that you can see in the pic, it looks like your upcoming weekend is all planned out for you.

Head gaskets rarely leak coolant invisibly, without other FAR MORE SERIOUS consequences. Coolant passages there can leak coolant only 3 ways: into the crankcase, in which case (no pun intended) you'd see your oil turning into grayish powdery gloppy gook; into cylinders (combustion), which the leak going the opposite way (combustion into the coolant) would be obvious; or externally, such as down the side of the block. In NO CASE can they possibly put coolant on top of the manifold. I'd save those for the VERY LAST suspect.

Far more likely, after the problem you already know you have, would be: the head bolts, specifically the row under the exhaust ports (the other 10 would leak into the crankcase and produce the above described coolant-in-the-oil symptom); the water pump (vent hole for the bearings weeping, which the coolant ends up on the inside of the pulley and gets slung everywhere as a fine mist); the heater core or radiator, butt you'd probably smell it, or worse, if it was the HC, or see/smell it from the radiator; or the coolant recovery bottle (cracked).

Get up under the front of the car and look up at the bottom of the lower rad hose. If there's signs of a drip running down the bottom of it, you need a water pump.

Intake gaskets almost never leak from coolant to ports. There's like 4 times as much gasket that it would have to go through horizontally to get there, than to get to the outside world. By the time one gets bad enough to leak into the ports there'd be coolant dripping EVERYWHERE. Kinda like, what you've got.

Based on the concept in my signature, I'd start by quarter-car-washing the motor after soaking it for a bit in spray-can engine degreaser (NOT the "foaming" kind) so that all old dried-up grungy crustified leakage from prior centuries is cleaned up. Then I'd fix the problem(s) I ALREADY KNOW OF, namely intake gaskets, which will be far less unpleasant when you don't have to wallow in the 10,000 years of funk all over everything. Put some thread sealer (NOT RTV) on the 2 center bolts on each side, and wire-brush the bolts real good and run a thread chaser down the 2 bolt holes at each coolant port, and use anti-seize on those. Then, if new intake gaskets didn't completely cure it, and when I could actually see what I'm doing, I'd inspect the radiator and cap and bottom of the coolant bottle, then if all that is OK look at the WP.

Save head gaskets for after doing all that. Save alien abduction, and their clandestine consumption of your particular car's coolant as a powerful aphrodisiac intoxicant, for even later.
The following 2 users liked this post by sofakingdom:
jpyy85 (08-22-2024), Roorancher (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: TH700

@sofakingdom Huuge thanks for this and for the weekend plans, lol. I needed to hear this. I actually allready have the intake gasket set from Fel Pro waiting on the shelf.

The car is my project car so I'll see when I get the time to fix it, two small kids at home so time is a luxury. But I will return and tell you how it goes.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:23 AM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans AM
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700-4r

Pull the heads & see if u can locate anarea where the gasket has failed. At this point, u could choose to have the heads planed especially if u have a lot of miles on the engine.
I replaced the head gaskets on my 1972 Buick GS 350 once & when leak appear 8 year later, I had the heads planed & rebuilt.
Before u reinstall heads, be sure all surfaces are super cleaned then reinstall with new ARP head bolts, which I did. I also used a thread chaser to clean the threads before installing the head bolts.
Goo luck
Old 08-22-2024, 10:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts
Car: 90 Formula / T-tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: MD8

Did you verify the hose that comes out of the throttle bottle area is not leaking, that leak appears to be in the general area. lots of hoses in that area in fact. I'd pressurize the cooling system and look for leaks. easiest way to find it.
The following 2 users liked this post by LiquidBlue:
jpyy85 (08-22-2024), TylerSteez (08-24-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts
Car: 89' Firebird / 87' Formula
Engine: 3.4 / 5.0
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / 3.42

"tiny puddles on the passenger side of the intake manifold"

Where you see coolant, there is a leak!!!

Thats a pretty big job though unfortunately.
Old 08-22-2024, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

It's not the heads or head gaskets. Head gaskets can't leak up on top of the intake manifold.

Don't worry about head gaskets or pay any attention to anyone who talks about them.

Blue's idea about the hoses is worth checking out though. I kind of assumed you had already looked at those and not found a problem. Butt we all know what happens when you break the word "assume" down into its 3 basic component parts...
The following 3 users liked this post by sofakingdom:
1989karr (08-23-2024), jpyy85 (08-22-2024), T.L. (08-22-2024)