Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

305 heads plug

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
305 heads plug

Does anyone know the official name of this plug and any lead to find a much more flat version of it

Whats the official name of this plug and do

Driver side went in smooth.
Does anyone know where i can find a flat version.

Its stopping me from putting on some headers
Old 08-12-2020, 06:30 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,406 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: 305 heads plug

Hold on and sit down while I give you this hard memorization lesson.

Its official name is "plug".

You can pick one up at the hardware store. It'll be in the section of miscellaneous brass fittings. It's 3/8" pipe (NPT) which is a bit of an odd size at hardware stores, not as wide a variety of fitting styles in that size as 1/4" or 1/2", but they should have what you want. If all you can find is a square- or hex-head one, and you want "flat", cut the drive off, sand it nice and flat, and cut a wide deep screwdriver slot in it. Use about 6 wraps of Teflon tape on it when you put it in.

Problem you will have is, that SHOULD be where the switch for the electric fan goes, and rather than a plug, it SHOULD be a fan switch. You might want to notch the header flange out instead, if they're that poorly designed and executed, to where they don't fit the car properly.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 423 Likes on 324 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

Being that's a V-belt TPI car..... very similar to my 86, It should have a single electric fan that's run by the ECU..... and AFAIK there are no fan switches. There's a switch in the front of the TPI base for the cold start injector that looks similar to that. Or perhaps the orange engine came from the something else and this is left over from that?

Edit - could be an 87 with dual fans? And that's the secondary fan switch? Center bolt valve covers would seem to agree.

GD
Old 08-12-2020, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder
Being that's a V-belt TPI car..... very similar to my 86, It should have a single electric fan that's run by the ECU..... and AFAIK there are no fan switches. There's a switch in the front of the TPI base for the cold start injector that looks similar to that. Or perhaps the orange engine came from the something else and this is left over from that?

Edit - could be an 87 with dual fans? And that's the secondary fan switch? Center bolt valve covers would seem to agree.

GD
it is a 86, i bought the car a year ago but havent had much time to work on it, till recently. The fan automatically starts when i start the car so the guy i bought it from diffenitly either rewired some stuffor like u said could be a different engine, it also has a cam and idling problems, I've looked up on it and read it could be air leaks so intake well be next....eventually. But when i removed the original manifolds i found out this guy didn't have any gaskets, hoping not counting on it but maybe that might help with idling.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Hold on and sit down while I give you this hard memorization lesson.

Its official name is "plug".

You can pick one up at the hardware store. It'll be in the section of miscellaneous brass fittings. It's 3/8" pipe (NPT) which is a bit of an odd size at hardware stores, not as wide a variety of fitting styles in that size as 1/4" or 1/2", but they should have what you want. If all you can find is a square- or hex-head one, and you want "flat", cut the drive off, sand it nice and flat, and cut a wide deep screwdriver slot in it. Use about 6 wraps of Teflon tape on it when you put it in.

Problem you will have is, that SHOULD be where the switch for the electric fan goes, and rather than a plug, it SHOULD be a fan switch. You might want to notch the header flange out instead, if they're that poorly designed and executed, to where they don't fit the car properly.
i was thinking of just unscrewing this plug even tho i might lose a bit of coolant and putting some thing in there to slow it down, move the headers up then screw the plug back in instead of banging and cutting here and there rather replace some fluid then risk nicking something important, was just curious if it COULD be replaced. A 24 mm deep socket got it out, wasnt even that tight either😦 but ill look into what you said, i appreciate to help and advice, thanks.