Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Four Seasons compressor

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018 | 08:13 AM
10 Year Member

Four Seasons compressor

My wife bought her 1985 IROC new out of high school and unfortunately it was totaled with just over 50,000 miles on it. I have transplanted the drivetrain into my '55 Chevrolet, having had the drivetrain set up for several years. Purchasing a Vintage Air system for the car, it came with a Sanden compressor. I had planned on using the original style Four Seasons pancake compressor which is possible by using an adapter.

My question to you would be does anyone still have luck with the pancake style compressor? They are still readily available and would be the easiest conversion for me. If not, does anyone have any pictures and bracket information if you had swapped out to a different type compressor on a TPI engine?

Your help is appreciated.

Mike
Old 02-25-2018 | 11:02 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Four Seasons compressor

There is a conversion kit to put a Sanden compressor on a V-belt TPI car. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-t...it-ac-upgrade/

There have also been threads about adapting the Sanden compressor, and discussions about alternative compressors that can probably be found with a Google search, just add thirdgen.org to your search terms.

The R4 compressors aren't entirely terrible. They have worked and still worked for a lot of people over the years.
Old 02-25-2018 | 12:48 PM
10 Year Member

Re: Four Seasons compressor

Originally Posted by Drew
There is a conversion kit to put a Sanden compressor on a V-belt TPI car. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-t...it-ac-upgrade/

There have also been threads about adapting the Sanden compressor, and discussions about alternative compressors that can probably be found with a Google search, just add thirdgen.org to your search terms.

The R4 compressors aren't entirely terrible. They have worked and still worked for a lot of people over the years.
Hadn't seen that article...good reading.

Noted the car had 96,000 miles with the same compressor...

Will still take suggestions...would obviously be easier to stay with oem system.

Mike