Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

HCV steaming, not pushing coolant into reserve tank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro RS 1992
Engine: V6 3.1L
HCV steaming, not pushing coolant into reserve tank?

camaro 92 v6 stock

so ive replaced a number of things to do with my coolant. temp gauge/ hoses/ some piece that screws into engine below temp gauge(cause i broke it in half)dam pot metal... the air dam. the hcv.

So its been running amazing no heat problems at all, until i start it today drive it home from work. no less then 2-3 minutes of running the car on way home car starts shooting up to near red, then back down to 220 half way mark.

get home pop hood HCV is Steaming out the *** and drip drip goes the coolant out of top of the hat.. no hoses leaking just top of hcv .

so after let it cool down i goto start it and hot coolant start dripping out top of hat again. So i take HCV off and put old one on which wasn't broke or nothing just replaced for sake of it being old plastic.

Now top hat of HCV still leaked not bad. just small drip every 10-15 secs or so. when started it, let it run till saw coolant cycle. Filled er up as levels droped with water then saw antifreeze start to cycle into radiator. let it run a bit more, ok now all that hot water isnt steaming out hcv, now its in radiator as should be..

So about to do a test drive but wondering if any one seen this or if it is warning sign of something like waterpump failing, or temp gauge getting stuck? or just was low on coolant?

since usually if its gonna steam and be a hot lil *** it usually does that in the reserve tank and not out the HCV.
thanks all <3
Old 06-25-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro RS 1992
Engine: V6 3.1L
Re: HCV steaming, not pushing coolant into reserve tank?

not sure did test drive got gas. drove out on highway, made a stop, go figure that one issue where wont click or anything when turn key.. anyhow it starts after a bit of sitting. then click click click ok im off back home.

seems ok filled reserve tank a bit was dry, drove her all i could but couldn't get it to repeat the problem.

maybe fluids were just low. and new hcv wasn't cutting it.
will report on anything happening..

sounded a little hissy when got home though.. but couldn't find any steam or any thing out of normal, figured just something weird since didn't do it after killing car.