Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Radiator Toggle Switch.. Doing something wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z (G92)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: M5
Radiator Toggle Switch.. Doing something wrong?

Alright. I have a 1987 IROC-Z with dual fans for the radiator. They weren't working when I bought the car so I decided to try to hook up a toggle. First things first.. Getting at least one fan to work on a single toggle.

I have it setup like this.. Tell me if I'm doing anything wrong because I'm completely new to this.

The toggle switch has three prongs: Power, Load, Ground

I have Power running to the IGN slot in the fuse box. (18g wire)
I have Load running to slot 85 on my power relay. (18g wire)
I have Ground being grounded.. (18g wire)

Then at the power relay I have.
87: Wire running to the black wire with a red stripe on one of the fans (10g wire)
86: Ground (18g wire)
30: Hooked up to the positive side on the battery terminal (10g wire)
85: Already said but this is the wire running to the Load on the toggle switch. (18g wire)

It is a 40 Amp relay.

It's not working for me.. I have tried switching the power/load wires around because I thought I might have them backwards but still no luck. Anyone help?
Old 10-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc
Re: Radiator Toggle Switch.. Doing something wrong?

first things first. make sure the fans actually work. just hook them up to the battery temporarily and make sure they spin. no amount of wiring or toggle switches will fix dead fan motors.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 PM

Yup just tested it that way fan spins right up. Still can't get it to work through the relay though
Old 10-23-2011, 08:49 PM

I got it figured out and the fan is running on a toggle now! For some reason it wasn't working off the IGN slot in the fuse box.. and I have 2 of them.. neither of them were working. They both lit the toggle switch up when I turned it on, but nothing happened with the fan.. So I put it into another one that said BAT > and now it's working flawlessly.

Although, I have to remember to turn the switch off after leaving the car because it will not automatically turn off with the ignition.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by iinversion
I got it figured out and the fan is running on a toggle now! For some reason it wasn't working off the IGN slot in the fuse box.. and I have 2 of them.. neither of them were working. They both lit the toggle switch up when I turned it on, but nothing happened with the fan.. So I put it into another one that said BAT > and now it's working flawlessly.

Although, I have to remember to turn the switch off after leaving the car because it will not automatically turn off with the ignition.
Your stereo has a 12v switched power source. Tap into it an it'll shut the fans off when the power is off
Old 10-23-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by WilliamSilver
Your stereo has a 12v switched power source. Tap into it an it'll shut the fans off when the power is off
I'll take a look at it next time I take everything apart again sometime later this week to install the second switch for the second fan. It'd be nice for it to turn off with the ignition but I'm not super worried about it TBH. The LED's sorta stand out on the switches so it'd be hard to forget.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hayden switches can be had for $25 on Amazon and let's fans turn on automatically instead of messing around with a toggle