Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Quick Fix on the road when your heatercore busts then your engine overheats

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Fix on the road when your heatercore busts then your engine overheats

!!!!!!! Wait till your Car Cools off before attempting this!!!!!!!!!!!

So Friday I drove to work and heard some hissing from behind the dash and saw some steam on the windshield. I thought it was my ac because its been leaking lately, sounded like a seal just blew so I ignored it. Drove home and about a quarter of the mile away from the house my temp shot up, the hissing came back and I started to see a puddle form on the passenger floorboard. Yeah.. classic problem, my heater core was leaking. I went ahead and just parked it lucky it happen so close to the house. I was sitting at 220.

The next day I popped the hood and wondered how I'm going to get a heater core when this overheating car is my only ride. Taxi? Call a friend? Hmm no I came up with a solution that worked right there in the parking lot. If I am ever in this situation on the road, I will do the same so I can just get my car to a safe place and avoid overheating.

A flat head screw driver is all that I needed for tools. There is a metal pipe that goes from the valve cover to the air cleaner. This is of course for your emissions so your engine can suck in unburnt gas and burn them again to improve emissions. For now my car staying cool is more important and this part can safely be removed. I simply unplugged the two heater hoses that go into the firewall and used this metal pipe to link the two hoses together. Your heater core is about as simple as this pipe as far as an inlet and outlet It just has radiator fins between it. There is just an in and an out. There is no harm in using this metal pipe that fits perfectly and clams down well. Mind you that the hoses on your heater core will take some force to be removed. Grip it tightly and give it a twist while pulling firmly. Once the twist breaks the hose lose it should pop right off. Be careful not to rip your arm open on some metal engine part when it does pop off. Also spend a bit of time cleaning that metal pipe. I used the screw driver and a towel. If you don't clean it well, you may clog up your thermostat and overheat again. There was alot of junk in my pipe, I cleaned it well.

So now heated water is going to and coming from in my cooling system just fine. I let the engine warm up, checked for leaks then drove safely to the nearest parts store to pick up a heater core for 37 dollars. Just to note, I hear these are easy to replace and access from under the dash near the ecm which must be removed to get to the heater core. I will not leave the car like this, it is not a permanent solution. You will not have heat for cold days if you leave this quick fix in place. My point here is that if I were anywhere not so close to home, a broken heater core will not stop me from quickly getting back on the road.

For those who don't have heater core issues and you know your heater core is probably old, I would suggest finding a right angled pipe or even a U shaped pipe. Go ahead and throw it in your hatch with a flat head screw driver. This will be a bit of insurance in case your heater core ever does suddenly give out. No one likes being stranded.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:23 PM

Re: Quick Fix on the road when your heatercore busts then your engine overheats

Here is a pic of the quick fix.
Attached Thumbnails Quick Fix on the road when your heatercore busts then your engine overheats-heatercorebypass.jpg  
Old 09-18-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44

Without that pipe between your valve cover and the intake, you're sucking dirty, unfiltered air into the crankcase to contaminate your oil.

The inlet and outlet on the heater core are different sizes, 5/8" and 3/4" IIRC. A simple piece of pipe won't work too easily. You can get a plastic or brass adapter at any parts store for about a dollar though.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM

Oddly I had a breather in the backseat. The pipe fit perfectly for me and it is tight with the clamps. I do want to stress that this is only a fix to get you home or to the nearest repair facility. I'm not suggesting that anyone should leave their car like this. Apeiron has a good point about contamination.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: GForce T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi

haha kinda crafty actually!