Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Electric Fan Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Electric Fan Issues

My electric fan in my 92 Camaro RS with the 305 has been having some serious issues. At first the fan was just blowing relays like it was its job. Then the fan would not work with a brand new relay. So I tested the fan and the motor works fine.

Today I was doing some diagnostics and was planning on doing a manual fan switch off of the relay wires, as shown here https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cool...stall-fan.html When I grounded the green wire I could not get the fan to turn on. So I figure what the hell, I'll try grounding the black and the gray wire separately as well. Grounding the black wire did nothing. But when I grounded the gray wire with the motor running it killed the motor. Now I cannot get my camaro to start.

Does anyone know what I did?

How can I fix it?

Anyone have a diagram showing which wires to the relay do which?

by the way I have a single electric cooling fan.

Help me please!!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Electric Fan Issues

When you grounded the green w/ white stripe wire with the key on that should have tripped the relay and started the fan. If it didn't and the relay and fan are OK, I'd look for a problem in the wiring. The big red wire to the relay is from the battery.The wire you grounded is the switched positive that is hot with the key on. When the green and white wire is grounded, either by the temp switch or manually, that activates the relay to send current from the big red wire down the big black with red stripe wire to turn on the fan. You grounded a switched hot wire and maybe blew a fuse or something somewhere. Not sure what that would blow, maybe someone else does?