Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Temperature Guage

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 PONTIAC TRANS AM
Engine: 305G HO CA EMISSIONS
Transmission: T5 5 SPEED
Axle/Gears: THEY ARE THERE
Temperature Guage

Hi everyone,

Getting ready for show season so I took all the brakets and accessories off the front of my TA. I replaced the radiator and all the sensors. I also put a new Jet Fan swith in the car.

When I warm the car up the temp guage inside reads low and then when the car warns up the temp guage goes all the way to the right past 260 and holds there. The temp is normal on the car.

2 questions. 1. On the 1984 5.0L G engine is the coolant temp switch located in the thermostat housing with a black and yellow wire, two terminal sensor?? 2. Do these sensors sometimes go bad right out of the box??

Thanks for your help.

I also replaced the chip and put a new hypertech thermostat in it according to Hyprtech you need to run a 165 degree thermostat with the chip. I also replaced the temp fan sensor with a jet 165 sensor switch.

Al
Spokane
WA
Old 06-06-2010, 10:59 AM
naf
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Re: Temperature Guage

Sounds like you installed the temp SWITCH in place of the temp guage SENDER that is located in the driver's side head.

The fan switch is located on the pass side head and has a connector that is similar to the KS connector. CTS on the water neck only provides temp data to ECM, not the guage.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 PONTIAC TRANS AM
Engine: 305G HO CA EMISSIONS
Transmission: T5 5 SPEED
Axle/Gears: THEY ARE THERE

Originally Posted by naf
Sounds like you installed the temp SWITCH in place of the temp guage SENDER that is located in the driver's side head.

The fan switch is located on the pass side head and has a connector that is similar to the KS connector. CTS on the water neck only provides temp data to ECM, not the guage.
I figured it out. I took the fan switch out and put the old temp sneding sensor in. The guage now works properly. The instructions say to put in the driver side engine block. Arrrgggggggghhhhh. I will replace the fan switch in the passenger side head at a later date. What a pain in the ****.

Thanks

Al
Spokane
WA
Old 06-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

I'm sure I have posted this before on another thread but think its worth posting again for those that want there fan on at a lower temp. than stock setting. A company named BWD makes fan switches that I have found at Advanced/Kragens Auto parts. They are a direct after market replacement and are installed in the stock location. They cost more but I believe are worth it . Heres the part #s and fan“on”temperatures.
Part # TFS8 = 220 on- 204 off
# TFS4 = 227 on - 211 off
# TFS1 = 238 on - 222 off
I have two fans. One that is on at start up automatically and is switched and the other is my back-up fan that is controlled by the 220 on - 204 off fan switch.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 06-11-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: add info.