Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Useing A/C condenser as a trans oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 350 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4
Useing A/C condenser as a trans oil cooler?

Running the lines to the radiator as 1st stage of cooling (liquid to liquid) than have to go to the A/C condenser (liquid to air) than have it routed back to the transmission.

My question is would this idea work with the A/C condenser. Or do I have to use a normal transmission cooler? I know that heat is the #1 that kills transmissions. So I thought that with the A/C condensers size and ability to cool will it work?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23
Re: Useing A/C condenser as a trans oil cooler?

Most people just bypass their trans cooler in the radiator when putting an external cooler on. This keeps the 2 circuits (transmission and antifreeze) from heating each other up. That being said I have read a few threads about people saying if it's a cold climate where you drive it might still be a good idea to run it through the radiator.

I believe there is a thread over on the transmissions board about running coolers in series. The member that discussed it said it would put extra strain on the pump and could lead to more harm than good. He stated if you need to run 2 coolers turn them off a Y connection not in series since that only reduces the flow even more.

As for the A/C Condenser I have no idea, being used on a transmission I haven't read anything about that before. Normally transmission coolers are only 4 to 8 rows or so, I believe the AC Condensers are much more. I don't know how much added strain that would put on the system.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:38 PM

Ive seen it at the circle track before. it worked well for him. I thought it looked like a great idea.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 85 Camaro IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: open rear, 3.42 gears

just watch the pressure drops though.
i had the same idea for a while but decided that it would be better to just get the biggest aftermarket cooler i could.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

this has been done many times in the past . many of the street/drag cars in the late 50's & 60's did that with good results . good luck .
Old 03-21-2010, 08:47 PM

I'm going to give it a go if my condenser is good. Once I get the front end kit for my car. Thanks guys for the info.

Last edited by 93_SilveradoTPI; 03-21-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 PM

Car: '78 GMC Sierra Heavy 1/2
Engine: GMPP ZZ4 Q-Jet
Transmission: 700R4 Stage 2 w/Race Internals
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3:42 Eaton

I'd recommend you...
DO NOT USE THE CONDENSOR TO COOL THE TRANNY
Oh, did I say that out loud...sorry
If you wanna mess around and try it, go ahead
The leftover oils from the A/C may not get along with your ATF and Tranny, nevermind the fact that the Turbulators in the Condensor were meant for Liquid Gas, not Hot ATF
Really, don't do it
I have an external trans cooler I run all year that has graduated orifices so it won't over-cool in the colder months, and I don't use the cooler in my Rad to heat it up
http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...=tru-cool-thin
The one I bought has inverted-flare fittings.......no need for hose clamps, just bend some new 5/16 inverted flare brake lines to fit ( your's may be 3/8 inverted flare )...
Really good cooler and small, fits in the grill well, doesn't block airflow like an A/C condenser does
Try not to mount it right against the rad, make brackets to allow airflow and not put the heat through your rad and damage the rad tubes

Oh, you'll need a pair of unions ( female to female ) to connect your inverted flare lines together
Oh don't make me take pics for you, I'd have to pull my grill HEHEHE
It's easy

Last edited by Gregzz4; 03-21-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:15 PM

I was just thinking of a way to clean it out too. Also if the tube size looks good enough. I dont even know for sure if the condenser is good. The A/C leaked and it may have been from the condenser. This car wont be driven in the snow it will be put away, like all the other V-8s/hot rods in hibernation lol. April 1st It will come out of hibernation.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4 edge 3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.73

If it is a tube style condesner you theoretically could but I still wouldnt. Most modern condensers now use a flat tube that have a row of really tiny tubes inside them, not sure how well the tranny fluid would flow through that. Junkyard tranny coolers are pretty cheap so why bother?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4 edge 3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.73

Originally Posted by fireturd350
Most people just bypass their trans cooler in the radiator when putting an external cooler on. This keeps the 2 circuits (transmission and antifreeze) from heating each other up. That being said I have read a few threads about people saying if it's a cold climate where you drive it might still be a good idea to run it through the radiator.

I believe there is a thread over on the transmissions board about running coolers in series. The member that discussed it said it would put extra strain on the pump and could lead to more harm than good. He stated if you need to run 2 coolers turn them off a Y connection not in series since that only reduces the flow even more.

As for the A/C Condenser I have no idea, being used on a transmission I haven't read anything about that before. Normally transmission coolers are only 4 to 8 rows or so, I believe the AC Condensers are much more. I don't know how much added strain that would put on the system.
Correct, you should not bypass the radiator cooler because when its colder it also acts to heat the transmission fluid up.