Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Grinding/rubbing noise only when A/C is on, and only in Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding/rubbing noise only when A/C is on, and only in Drive

A/C seems to be making a grinding or rubbing noise almost, only in Drive. If in park, or when you turn A/C off it stops. It's blowing pretty cool, wouldn't say ICE cold, but maybe a 7 or 8 on a scale of 10. I don't have anyone here at the moment that can put it in Drive while I'm under the hood, but it seems like it's coming from the Evaporator area. I don't think it's the blower itself. I actually just replaced that with another and it still is making the noise. I would've guessed it was related to the compressor itself, as it almost seems like it's something revolving, like a belt going around, but it really seems to be coming from the passenger side, not the driver's where the compressor is. Anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Grinding/rubbing noise only when A/C is on, and only in Drive

Get a long screwdriver - place plastic handle end against ear, place other end (sharp end) against the compressor while it's on, then place against idler pulley, and see what's making the noise. My idler pulley makes noise with my A/C on - it's the extra strain from the extra work on the system - but like you said, only in drive (lower RPM's), and not while driving at speed (higher RPM's). The screwdriver acts as a stethescope, sending the vibrations straight to your ear drum, helping to identify these noises.

JUST BE CAREFUL where you poke that screwdriver (stay out of belts/pulleys please) - don't want you blaming me for losing an eye, or ear!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Grinding/rubbing noise only when A/C is on, and only in Drive

Finally got around to playing with this more. The blower was causing SOME of the noise. With everything on, I pulled one of the wires off the blower and some of the grinding noise did stop, so looks like something will have to be done with it. However, the compressor seems to be making some noise still as well. Part of the noise is the hoses that run from it over the radiator, vibrating on the plastic shroud. I know there should be some, but this seems like more than normal. The compressor itself does have a lot of vibration and noise coming from it when sticking the screwdriver on it. I've actually posted in another thread asking if the bearings could be changed. With the belt off and spinning it by hand, it spins smooth, but there's some noise inside when listening with the screwdriver and spinning it.

Also, I changed the belts on the car today and now the clutch on the compressor isn't disengaging with the air on. It's pretty warm here today, so that may be it, and I honestly didn't check today before I changed the belts. I know when I was messing with it before that it did cycle on and off when the air was on. Could a belt being too tight affect the clutch, or is it most likely the heat?

Thanks again!