Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

defective pep boys radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 camaro z28
Engine: jasper350, 4bbl, mostly stock
Transmission: 700R4 w/ B&M shift kit
Axle/Gears: stock
defective pep boys radiator

hey guys, my radiator caught a leak the other day...not sure how or why, but i noticed a puddle of radiator fluid under the front driver side of my car. so i get a new one from pep boys, its the right one and it looks brand new (so i think). well i take out the old one, which took a second cause the trans fluid lines were kinda rusted. anyways, i get the new one in and start filling it up with coolant. to my surprise, i get about half way, and it starts free flowing from an opening between the lower radiator hose and upper trans cooling line. the old radiator has this protrusion that looks like there could be a hose going to it, but it has a metal backing on the inside of the radiator. the new one has the same thing, but no metal backing. i stuck a gauge in both to make sure the new one didnt have the backing, and it doesnt. the guage went in about half an inch further than in the old one. what the hell!!!! did pep boys sell me a bad radiator or is there something im missing? is there a way to plug it, so i dont have to pull it out and take it back? im not sure where the reciept is
Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355ci L98 soon to be turbo'd
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi
Re: defective pep boys radiator

have any pics?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:05 PM

Car: 1984 camaro z28
Engine: jasper350, 4bbl, mostly stock
Transmission: 700R4 w/ B&M shift kit
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: defective pep boys radiator

nah, no pics. it actually was defective (thanks pep boys) and i found the reciept, took it back, and got a good one from advanced auto parts. yay! so now my cooling issues are delt with, just finished the break in period of my new motor, changed the oil with the good stuff (full synthetic), and now im ready to hit the road! damn i love my car