Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

This may be a dumb question but.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac firebird
Engine: built 350
Transmission: 700r4 built up to 600hp
Axle/Gears: stock for now
This may be a dumb question but.....

Can you run an alternator if you have a electric water pump without buying those over priced snug fit kits? Im getting a electric water pump and the only thing my belt drives is my water pump and alternator but it looks like the water pump might be in the way if i ran a belt from the alternator straight to the crank? Please help...
Old 12-27-2008, 02:44 AM

Re: This may be a dumb question but.....

This really doesn't asnwer your question but before you go out and buy an electric water pump you might find this good reading...
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...ump/index.html

- If you race i know having an electric water pump and electric fan are nice inbetween runs... You can run a switch from an extra battery and run your cooling system without running the car... Maybe you already knew this but incase you didn't i hope you enjoy the article
Old 12-27-2008, 08:56 AM

Car: 1988 Pontiac firebird
Engine: built 350
Transmission: 700r4 built up to 600hp
Axle/Gears: stock for now

Originally Posted by 88iroc52387
This really doesn't asnwer your question but before you go out and buy an electric water pump you might find this good reading...
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...ump/index.html

- If you race i know having an electric water pump and electric fan are nice inbetween runs... You can run a switch from an extra battery and run your cooling system without running the car... Maybe you already knew this but incase you didn't i hope you enjoy the article
Wow that really opened my eyes, stock one can run through 100 gallons per minute and the proform electric one i was looking at flows 35 gallons per minute.

Do you think electric drive kits would be better than the electric pump it self?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:58 PM

Honestly i've never had a water pump go bad so i've never used anything other then oem... I would just get an underdrive pulley you'll pick up some extra HP but you'll still have more then enough water flow
Old 12-28-2008, 05:56 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Super Charged 414 FI Roller Mtr.
Transmission: CK Perf. 4L80E Manual W/Transbrake
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford 3.25

Good Job 88iroc52387 for your direction to 88bird!!!! For drag racing this is fine but for daily driver, not a good idea. I have not had to shop e-pumps for a customer for awhile but last I did, we installed a Meziere remote pump which at the time was the only pump I could find in electric that would move about 60 gpm and would work with a street application. It was on a 407 chev in a chopped 36 cabriolet custom ford pickup. It made street rodder magazine. I designed the cooling system and built the radiator, shroud, etc....... anyway, an electric drive oem water pump will have the same problems as the pump you were looking at with the electric pump itself. I would run a stewart/warner stage II pump in combination with an underdrive pulley if you want to release a few ponies. The pump is much better than oem if you are having heating issues and if not, it should offset the pulley reduction if you decide to do it and still pump about the same gpm with the reduction.