Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

coolant explosion....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am -Ws6
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
coolant explosion....

Ok so i finally got my car running. let it run for a while like 10 mins tops as i was adjusting the idle makin sure i had oil pressure and what not. temp gauge was fine shut her off and let it sit for a while. i restarted the car got out to identfy the source of the smoke/steam i was seeing found that. got back in temp gage was pegged to the hot side so i shut the car off knowing that the fan should still run. boom massive coolant leak any ideas on where the system might have blown? car has been sitting for 7 years or so. (i belive the fan is seized up.. wasnt running when i was workin on the other stuff. didnt think about it really cause it just seemd normal hot.) to dark out to see anything at all and i just spent like half an hour getting coolant/water out of my garage just lookin for some places to look... kinda pissed lol just got the money to get the new computer/sensor i want and this happens. and do you think i hurt the motor any? im used to air cooled motors with propellers one of those gets hot ya just pull the throttle back. if it over temps at idle push it forward kinda simple.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: coolant explosion....

probably one of the heater or radiator hoses blew, might want to make sure the fan is working, it doesnt work when the car is off, but if you leave the key on it will still run. Also check if the thermostat is working.

The cooling fan is very important make damn sure its working before you run the motor again. You can do this by turning the key one click before it cranks, and grounding out the fan switch pigtail, its in the head between cylinder 6 and 8, the back two on the passenger-side.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:21 AM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn

Had my heater bypass t break so dont overlook that as well.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z-28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

As long as the car has cooled off, you could start it up, fill the radiator with coolant, or rather water since you know it will leak out, and watch for where it leaks out. My guess is if it has set for 7 years it is one of the rubber hoses that has just degraded to the point of failure. Look first at where the hoses are connected to the varying points of entry/exit to the motor. That is where they usually will go bad first as the pressure from the clamps sometimes weakens the rubber. If it came out from the engine bay, you don't have to worry about the heater core inside the car at this point. A good flush of the system and all rubber hose replacement would be a good start to restoring proper functionality.
However, you need to get to the cause of the overheating which, as 86TA stated, is probably the fan not working. This problem seems to be indemic on these cars, that is, trouble with the fan not working when it is supposed to. Just follow what 86TA said to do about checking the fan and if it does not work, replace the fan, should not be that expensive. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:19 PM

If it blew (exploded) you should be able to put water in it, shut off.
I would say a radiator hose, and I would change them all, if it's been sitting for 7 years.
Don't see a problem starting it without a fan, just don't run it for more then a few min. Basically, you need a fan.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:38 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am -Ws6
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

thanks for all the reply's i found the hose that broke and i do need a new fan lol. was kinda freakd out lastnight but after i calmd down i relized it wasnt as bad as it seemd. thankfully i have 2 fans from my buddys caddy sitting around and the hose from a camaro that appears to be the same.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:27 BW 9 bolt

I would change the thermostat too. It's possible it could be rusty and stuck closed after 7 years.