Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

NEed to know how to put R-12 from can to car

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NEed to know how to put R-12 from can to car

Ok, I pulled out the plug (pressure switch) and shorted it with a paperclip to see if my compressor would even turn on (the low press sensor wouldn't let it) .. & IT DID!!!! Sweeet. Then theres a guy selling R-12 12oz cans locally for 15$ A CAN. I told him I'd take 3.

But uh... how should I introduce the new R-12? The system still has a little pressure in it so I would say it has maybe 1/4lb R-12 still.

My dad has some old R-12 guages, and were planning on starting the car up, bypassing the pressure sensor to startup the compressor and introduce 3 cans of R-12 through the Low pressure valve on the drier through the guages. I am assuming it would vacuum it in from the cans?

I am sure there is a seal or something on the cans that has to be broken to let the R-12 out. How should I break it? Or is it something else?

Thanks a ton guys I am an idiot when it comes to A/C systems.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird S/E
Engine: 305 carb'd V8
Transmission: 4-speed auto
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: NEed to know how to put R-12 from can to car

As far as I know, even with R-12 cans it shouldn't be any different then before. Doesn't your hose have the screw down pin that pops the can to introduce the freon?

So let me get this straight and I ask this because I have a similar problem. You stuck a paperclip in the plug that goes to the high pressure cut-off switch (back of the compressor) and it kicked on?
Old 05-31-2008, 09:26 AM

Engine: '85 Monte SS L69 305
Transmission: TH 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 3.23

You'll need some sort of adapter/ tap made for those cans. Either it screws/ clamps on top of the can like Guro says or it's kind of a clamp that punctures the side of the can. They puncture & seal at the same time. The tap should be on the upside so the compressor doesn't draw liquid freon.
The paperclip trick is used on the low-pressure cycling switch by the dryer to run the compressor when there's not enough pressure in the system. The hi-press cut-off switch on back of the compressor should already be conducting in its normal state.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:39 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird S/E
Engine: 305 carb'd V8
Transmission: 4-speed auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by Fullsizewagon
The paperclip trick is used on the low-pressure cycling switch by the dryer to run the compressor when there's not enough pressure in the system. The hi-press cut-off switch on back of the compressor should already be conducting in its normal state.
I gotta see that!!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1988 SC Convertible
Engine: LT-1
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi w/PBR's

There is no need to bypass the pressure switch when charging a system. There is more pressure in the can than in your system so it will easily go in. Once there is enough freon in the system the compressor will start kicking on and off in fairly short intervals until there is enough freon in to keep it from short cycling. Once the compressor is consistently running keep filling your system to the proper pressures.

Oh, if you have gauges they should have different color ***** (red & blue). ONLY open the blue **** to charge the system.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Good advice above. Use the low side port to put the R-12 in (the low side is the shraeder valve that's attached to the large silver cylinder)

Using the high side (the small valve by itself) can cause the can to explode in your face.

Run the car on MAX A/C, full cold, fastest fan speed while putting the stuff in. Leave a window open. Be careful not to overfill. Take your time putting it in.