Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Willie's Total Fan Control - Project Over

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willie's Total Fan Control - Project Over

First I would like to thank Willie for writing this up and taking the time to call me and help me finish some wiring for the Total Fan Control project on my car.
A big Thanks Willie!!!!!

I would like to share what I did inside with the toggle switches. I found a "project box" at Fry's Electronics that perfectly matches the color and texture of the dash paneling. The design of this panel fit right under perfectly. If I wanted to change something in the box, there are 6 small screws from the bottom that allows the cover to come off.

Then I cut to small holes for the fan leds. Fan 1 on top of Fan 2. The I added 5 wholes for the toggle switches (so I have one extra that I will be using for something else). Screwed the box to underneath as per the photo. Cut a notch in the back so I could run the wire from behind, and used split flex tubing to cover the wires. I finished off the toggle switches with black toggle switch covers. Then I labeled the switches with black background and yellow fonts labels to match the rest of the interrior, and thats is it. I'm pretty happy with the results. Take alook.

Thanks.

Oscar.

Last edited by Oscar; 12-28-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 bolt 3.27
Re: Willie's Total Fan Control - Project Over

Oscar, looks real good! Nice match with the "project box".
Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56

So what do they do? How do they work? Or maybe you could provide a link to willie's thread!

Looks really neat. My kind of mod. Looks like its factory.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS(sold) 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: ones that turn

Originally Posted by online170
So what do they do? How do they work? Or maybe you could provide a link to willie's thread!

Looks really neat. My kind of mod. Looks like its factory.
I have to agree I really like that box, I might have to get one of those to mount some switches on. I'm curious as to what total fan control is I remember reading about it awhile ago does it require that many switches?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys. Here's the link and the skinny on this. There's also a link to wiring instructions I need to find if you're interested in doing this.

https://www.thirdgen.org/cool

I did this becuase as we know, these cars run so frightenly hot, especially in street traffic and hot weather. This now gives me "total control" and peace of mind.
So basically I did the full mod as per Willie designed using the Hayden 3652 (fan 1) and 3647 (fan2). Only the switch box layout is what I chose to design. The nice thing is you can choose what you want to do or leave out. Do both fans or only one fan. As I said I did it all.

So on my switch box, I have 2 leds. They light up when the fan is in operation. If fan 1 is on the led (top led) lights up telling me it's on. Same for fan 2 (bottom led). The leds are not bright or annoying. Then there are the switches from left to right. The first one when on (up position) makes fan 1 come on when temperature reaches 185 degrees and off at 170*. When off it is back to stock. Switch 2 - is just a manual turn on switch at any temp (up position). Off position is back to stock. Switch 3 - turns fan 2 on at 195* (it's adjustable so you can set that at what ever you want). Off is back to stock. Switch 4 - just turns fan 2 on immediatly like switch 2. The last switch, 5 is just an extra switch not hooked up to anything yet. Will probably use it for my alarm. I have to say although this car only gets driven about 1K mile a year, I've always dreaded driving it during summer days and summer heat, in traffic or just left ideling. This way I can drive my car more with no worries.

So to summarize, if all switches are off (down position) the car is basically stock and the fans 1 and 2 come on at the temps they we're designed at by Chevy. Stock settings of course will help when going through smog. If you race, you can manually turn both fans to get the engine as cool as possible at the track. I did also do the 170* thermostat with holes drilled as per ******* instructions. Another note is that if you change thermostats twice a year, a cooler one in summer and a hotter one in winter, this eliminates this work, unless you enjoy doing that.

hope that helps!

p.s. this took time to do but was easy with some studying, reading, and ******* help, and I've never done electrical work before. So if I can do it any one can.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:28 PM

Here the wiring instructions if your interested. Another member provided this in PDF.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cool...n-control.html
Old 04-10-2008, 01:27 AM

Car: 87 Z28
Engine: 89 tpi soon tpis big mouth & tubes
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:43

Very nice I'll have to build one also. But there isn't a frys for over 100 miles of me. I wouder if tandy (radio)shack has the boxes.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by tshack
Very nice I'll have to build one also. But there isn't a frys for over 100 miles of me. I wouder if tandy (radio)shack has the boxes.
Radio shack has project boxes but not the same box I used. I check alot of stores they all had regular square boxes without the design my has. I checked outpost.com which is Fry's Electronics website and they don't list it. I did how ever find the same box in black and other colors, from another company, see the link below. You can start there and see if they'll send you one or they can refer you to to who ever carries it. Worse comes to worse I can go to the store near me if you really want one, I'll buy it for you and ship it to you.

http://www.serpac.com/products_sl-07-s.htm

You can also try other searches and see if you find another box you may like.