Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

How much cooling capacity is required???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 gta
Engine: 350 turbo
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: 4.56
How much cooling capacity is required???

ok got a GTA 88 with a 355 twinturbo holset H1e with all the goodies inside and an accel DFI gen 7. 1200cfm. turbos would be going were the batteries and canister would be. fans are derale 4000 CFM fans. also an intercooler is planned and would be around 13 in or so tall and un-sure on width also a heavy duty oil cooler with remote mount filters if that helps- i think it should. around 570 lift at the valve, water is electric and remote. iknow i should have gone with a mechanical. but have spared nearly no expense, all cooling lines are ss braided -24 and 16 fittings . needed remote mount for space.
from what ive seen on here from what ive searched is mostly everyone using a 2 row 1.5 rad. northern pro comes to mind and the summit/jegs drop in.
not to forget the 31 * 19 griffins but im not a big fan lowering the rad support and hacking the out the opening.
has anyone used one of the NASCAR rads on Ebay? review? there dimensions are smaller than an oem rad but 4 inch thick. i recived a message reguarding it from the seller and said it was a 2 row rad so ill assume close to a 2 inch tube. everything ive mapped out bought and set up for is 750 hp maybe 800hp could a summit/jegs cool enough with those fans?
any input would be great !!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:36 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Super Charged 414 FI Roller Mtr.
Transmission: CK Perf. 4L80E Manual W/Transbrake
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford 3.25
Re: How much cooling capacity is required???

A race pro radiator might be enough and I am selling them for $286 and if I can get enough interest, I am buying a bunch of them to get the price down to $275. However, for your extreme demands, you may want to consider a custom built unit. I can build a 3 row, 1" tube radiator with 2 or 3 pass throught the core for you. Finished thickness on the core is about 3 1/2" thick and at the tank, it's about 4" thick. They are expensive to build but I build alot of high end fancy aluminum radiators for people with extreme applications. Is your remote water pump a Mezier by chance? You really need to move your coolant as fast as possible to make this work. Mezier is your best bet on a remote that moves alot of coolant and is reliable. What are the GPM specs on the pump? On your fans, is that 2 fans at 4000cfm each or together? All this stuff is important. I have an ATI blower on a 383 with tpi in my 91Z and should be a strong 650hp. The 2 row rad I built is using the stock fans with no additional shroud and very drivable. I do believe that the turbo set up makes alot more heat so you would probably need more cooling than my application. I had to make my radiator shorter in core height top to bottom as it sits in the car because I route my innercooler tubes that go in and out (charge air cooler) for the supercharger over the top of the radiator support. I notched the radiator support some and ovaled the tubing to clear the hood and therefore, had to build a shorter radiator to clear it as well. There are alot of things you can do but you need max air, max GPM, and the most radiator you can stuff in there to have some drivability margin. Are you driving this car or just racing it? Let me know and let me know how much the EBAY unit runs to see if I can save you some money or not. I can build about anything radiator or inner cooler wise and have alot of experience in this as I own a radiator repair and warehouse. My aluminum radiators are stamped with our own "BAD *** SERIES" stamp as that is what they are. Let me know if I can help you. Just backed out a 55 chev sedan delivery for a customer from Oklahoma that has an 871 blown 355 and he is real happy! Loaded her up on the trailer and she's going home. Also just did a job on a 1972 Datsun 240Z with a 14-71 FI 516 bbc and he can now drive his 8.90 "street car" to the strip in Wichita instead of trailering it there now! I'm sure I can help you out if you are interested. Let me know, Scott Simpson, dba., Best Radiator Repair, Warehouse & Custom Muffler Center, Hays, Ks.
Attached Thumbnails How much cooling capacity is required???-ratsun-installed.jpg   How much cooling capacity is required???-underhood-135kb.jpg  
Old 02-10-2008, 04:41 PM

thanks for the reply. the Ebay rads are 200-500ish.. yes it is a meizre pump 40 GPM, and the fans dont show if its 4000 ea. just the max CFM. got then from summit.
ill be driving it decent summer days and the track eventually, pending a S60 we'll see after tax time.
that price sounds good for that rad, ive read positive reviews anyway and it seems theres a few people who had no problems with them.
whats the damage going to be on that 3 row rad and will it drop in? or what modification is required?
ill keep you in mind for an intercooler, not quite sure on correct plumbing or the numbers.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:17 PM

I have a tech at my disposal for figuring the charge air cooler size and also some very good chart data for same. A three row aluminum radiator will probably be more than $500 depending on exactly what you want to do for transmission cooler if you're running an automatic. Obviously, the radiator will not be totally direct fit because of the thickness but wil be the same overall dimension in height and width. Actually though, I just went out and looked at my car and your problem with going thicker than 3" on the tanks will be the steering gear and the steel line that loops from the steering box, underneath the fans and then back. That is a crude oem power steering cooler, atleast there's one on a 91 & 92 Z28 because I have both in my shop. Here's my thought on your project. I think if it were my car, I would build a 2 row aluminum radiator that will direct fit in your car on height and width. (I would not install one of the generic fits because of the height being too tall). I think I would baffle the radiator so the coolant would pass through the core in 3 passes. I would try to return the fans you have and I would custom build an aluminum shroud with 2 - 12" 3000cfm permacool fans. I think I would build this as a complete unit, i.e., shroud/radiator/fan assembly to keep it as thin as possible. I would run a remote trans cooler and keep it out of the radiator so you have optimum cooling. I have a pic I will attach so you can see what I'm talking about. The radiator would run approx $365, the fans run about $129.95 ea., and to build a 2 fan enclosed shroud that is part of the radiator will run about $197.50 with a total of $822.40. Now agreed, that is a chunk, but it sounds like you're aware that you don't get results with the kind of project you're doing without spending some money. All in all, that price is buying you alot of labor and parts at essentially cost. I have vehicles here to test fit so that shouldn't be a problem and also, any 2 row aluminum radiator will be 3" thick on the tank and 2 1/8" on the core or more. Going by my installs here, any thicker will run you into the steering gear because the rad will become too thick to clear it when you add another row. Because your Mezier is moving coolant so much slower than a belt driven pump, the three pass cooling will help make up for that some. Before you install the Mezier and put coolant, I would contact Mezier direct and not through Jeggs or Summit and see if they don't have a remote that moves about 65GPM. I'm pretty sure the last streetrod I installed a remote Mezier pump on moved 65GPM which is a big step up from 40. This can make alot of difference in your results. I can send you a ton of pics of the rods and race cars I have built custom radiators for if you need but would need your email as this site will not support that many kb of info at a time. The little bit you lose returning these parts on freight won't be a big deal in the overall grand scheme of things on your project and will be much less expensive to do right the first time than doing it twice. The fans I would use are on the bottom pic. The prices I estimated are not including polish if you were interested in that.
Attached Thumbnails How much cooling capacity is required???-3-rads.jpg  
Old 02-12-2008, 03:18 PM

well, that a lot to think about. first i wont be making my target numbers right away, need more fuel than i can presently flow. the belt driven pumps seem a cheaper way to go really in case of further performance reqirements.
im thinking like 5 psi - 7 just to get the ball rolling and go from there. And @ 100 an injector im thinking a late 08 season injector swap or early 09 season.
so the fans,.... ill keep what i got and upgrade at a later date. i know ill find something else to hotrod and reuse them.
but the rad for 365, was that a 3 pass rad?? and a direct fit? also is it better than summit/jegs etc... id be pretty interested in that rad. shipping to L4c 2w5 richmond hill ontario canada.
oh, meizere 's site only shows a 55 GPM avail. but claims i can support 650 hp. thats N/A mind you. but i think i could get away with it for a lil while maybe one season, i bought the pump a while ago and the bill is long gone. i think its gonna be to much hassle shipping things to summit in ohio, the border charges and fees are un-called for seriously. so much for equal dallar lol
Old 02-12-2008, 03:37 PM

Hi. Yes, I can build you a "direct fit" aluminum 3 pas radiator for $365 US. Don't forget, though, that because of the internal baffles, you will have to run an external transmission cooler. Let me know if you want one built. I think it will help with the lower GPM your pump turns, infact, I think it will help alot as it will run the coolan accross the core and cool it 3 times before it returns to the pump. This has proven to be a good application for electric pump cars. Would still like to see a little more GPM but I think this will work very well compared to a single pass........Oh yeah, if we get together on the radiator, I want to be sure to get pics of your car as I have a huge photo album of my customers cars that I have done custom rads for. Thanks and stay in touch, Scott