Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Took out the heater and seatbelts

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took out the heater and seatbelts

I am not running a heater on my TPI setup. I am also not running coolant through the upper intake plenum. I plugged off the hole on the water pump and lower intake manifold that usually go to the heater hoses. I didn't think of this at first but will I need to run a hose from the water pump to the lower intake manifold to allow for bypass when the t-stat is closed?

Does anyone have a diagram of TPI coolant flow?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 04 Silverado
Engine: 4.8
Transmission: auto
Re: Took out the heater and seatbelts

Originally Posted by Langer
I am not running a heater on my TPI setup. I am also not running coolant through the upper intake plenum. I plugged off the hole on the water pump and lower intake manifold that usually go to the heater hoses. I didn't think of this at first but will I need to run a hose from the water pump to the lower intake manifold to allow for bypass when the t-stat is closed?

Does anyone have a diagram of TPI coolant flow?
What does the removal of the heater have to do with the removal of the seat belts Unless your crazy, I would reinstall the seat belts
Old 01-10-2008, 09:09 PM

I'm glad you are here to look out for me. I actually do have seatbelts and two five point harnesses. I thought I would take a stab a a little joke there but sorry if you din't think it was funny. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with anybody.

I pulgged off the hole on my water pump because I am not running a heater. Is it OK to do this? Does the heater circuit serves as the only a bypass circuit when the t-stat is closed?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:15 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Super Charged 414 FI Roller Mtr.
Transmission: CK Perf. 4L80E Manual W/Transbrake
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford 3.25

TOPRAD MAN HERE. NO, YOU DO NOT NEED TO RUN A HOSE, INFACT, IT MIGHT CAUSE AN OVERHEATING PROBLEM IF YOU DID. THE OE WATER PUMP HAS A BUILT IN BYPASS IN THE CASTING (THAT'S WHAT THAT 3RD HOLE IS DOWN BY THE BOLT HOLES TO MOUNT IT TO THE BLOCK). IF, HOWEVER, YOU ARE RUNNING AN AFTERMARKET HIPERF WATER PUMP THAT DOES NOT HAVE THAT THIRD HOLE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE, YOU CAN SIMPLY DRILL 4 1/8" HOLES IN YOUR THERMOSTAT FLANGE ITSELF. THIS WILL CREATE A BUILT IN BYPASS IN THE THERMOSTAT AND MAKE THE CAR EASIER TO FILL WITHOUT HAVING AIR POCKETS THAT HAVE TO BE EXPELLED BEFORE YOU CAN FINISH FILLING THE COOLING SYSTEM. THE OTHER ADVANTAGE TO SHUTTING OFF THIS 3RD HOLE AND DRILLING THE T STAT FLANGE IS THAT THE BYPASS COOLANT IS STILL GOING THROUGH THE RADIATOR AND NEVER MAKING A LOOP IN THE FRONT OF THE MOTOR WHETHER THE STAT IS OPEN OR CLOSED. THIS CAN KNOCK AS MUCH AS 10 DEGREES OFF OF SOME APPLICATIONS AND I HAVE SEEN AS MUCH AS 20 DEGREES TEMP DROP ON LOW SLUNG STREET ROD MOTORS. THIS IS AN OLD SMOKY UNIC TRICK FROM WAY BACK AND IT CAN HELP.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 AM

Thank you. That will help a lot. Smokey Unic was a great man.

I am also trying to decide if I should run a 160 or 180 degree t-stat. I figure that the colder I run it the more agressively I can time it, but is 160 degrees plain to cold? I am running megasquirt so i should be able to tune for any temperature, but should I worry about negative effects on oil like sludge formation at this low of a tempature?
Old 01-13-2008, 05:35 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Super Charged 414 FI Roller Mtr.
Transmission: CK Perf. 4L80E Manual W/Transbrake
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford 3.25

DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH THE CAR. IF YOU PARK IT OUTSIDE AND THE TEMP SWINGS ARE SIGNIFICANT, YOU MIGHT AQUIRE MOISTURE IN THE OIL TO MAKE SLUDGE. BEST THING I CAN THINK OF IS TO RUN FULL SYNTHETIC OIL IF YOUR MOTOR IS ALREADY PAST BREAKIN. PENNSYLVANIA BASED OILS ARE THE WORST FOR SLUDGING BECAUSE MY UNDERSTANDING IS THEY HAVE THE MOST PARAFIN IN THEM, IE., QUAKER STATE, PENNZOIL.....REMEMBER, THE TSTAT WILL ONLY CONTROL BASEMENT TEMPS, NOT ANYTHING MORE. HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOUR FANS DON'T STAY ON ALL THE TIME IF YOU RUN THAT COOL OF A STAT. I JUST GOT DONE ORDERING AND INSTALLING A CUSTOM MADE PULLEY TO OVERDRIVE THE WATER PUMP TODAY ON A 871 BLOWN 355 IN A 55 CHEV SEDAN DELIVERY. HAD ALREADY BUILT A HUGE 3 PASS RADIATOR AND RAN COOL ENOUGH TO DRIVE BUT NOT AS GOOD AS I HAD EXPECTED. PULLEY MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE (20 DEGREES). CAR DID HAVE A 1:1 RATIO WATERPUMP TO CRANK WITH 6.6"OD PULLEYS. INSTALLED THE SPECIAL ORDER PULLEY AT 5.25" ON PUMP AND MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. PULLEY WAS MADE BY AUTO SPECIALTIES PERFORMANCE IN STAFFORD, TEXAS. AM THINKING ABOUT GOING AHEAD AND INSTALLING A STEWART WARNER STAGE 2 PUMP AS WELL BUT WE'LL SEE. HARD TO TELL WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS TIME OF YEAR. NEED RESULTS FOR SUMMER DRIVING BUT CAN'T DUPLICATE CLIMATE. ANYWAY, THAT'S MY THOUGHTS. I ALSO THINK A 180 STAT WOULD BE FINE FOR YOUR CAR AS GM ONLY EVER USED A 192 IN ANY SBC THAT I AM AWARE OF.....TOPRADMAN......
Old 01-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Thank You TOPRADMAN !