Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

HELP! need performance radiator hose

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 350 (5.7L)
Transmission: 700R4 (Auto)
HELP! need performance radiator hose

Hey all...

unfortunately my supercharger belt came a few ribs off its pulley and bit into my high performance radiator hose and now i need a new one. i have looked online and cannot find what im looking for.

i have the light green high performance (some may recognize these green colored hoses which were used in all othe cop car caprices in the 80s/90s as part of the 'heavy duty treatment'. the place i got mine form no longer stocks them and ive even called up a variety of stores, but to no avail, ive come up empty.

the only thing i found was in the summit racing catalog whihc had an enitre set of
"goodyear hi-miler performance hoses":
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

but ive never heard of those nor know anyone who has used them, or even how 'high performance' they really are...they are electric blue in color. anyone ever use those?? any comments>?? worth it?? the only preoblem is they arte only sold as a set for $90 and all i need is the upper radiator hose.

anyone know where i can get one of heavy duty green ones im talkiing about? (or any heavy duty/high performance one for that matter) ?? any websites or companies/telephone numbers is greatly appreciated..

thanks!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Super Charged 414 FI Roller Mtr.
Transmission: CK Perf. 4L80E Manual W/Transbrake
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford 3.25
Re: HELP! need performance radiator hose

HI, TOPRADMAN HERE. THE BLUE GOODYEAR HOSES ARE HIGH SILICONE CONTENT AND WILL WITHSTAND MORE PRESSURE AND TEMPERATURE EXTREMES HIGH AND LOW. THEY STAY MORE PLIABLE. MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT THEY ARE USED ALOT IN POLAR CLIMATES WHERE TEMP SWINGS FROM VERY COLD (WHEN ENGINE IS SHUT OFF) TO THERMOSTAT TEMP AND ABOVE. THEY ARE PROBABLY THE MOST HIGH PERFORMANCE COOLANT HOSE IN A MOULDED STYLE AVAILABLE THAT I KNOW OF. I HAVE TO BE HONEST, IN 26 YEARS OF RUNNING A RADIATOR SHOP AND DOING CUSTOM WORK AND COOLING SYSTEM WORK, THE ONLY GREEN HOSES I HAVE SEEN BEFORE WERE BULK STRAIGHT HOSE. I BELIEVE THIS COMPOUND ALSO HAS A SILICONE CONTENT. I ALSO HAVE A SUPERCHARGED CAMARO AND BUILD CUSTOM ALUMINUM RADIATORS FOR STREETRODS, RACE CARS, ETC....I PERSONALLY WOULD NOT SPEND THE EXTRA $ ON SILICONE HOSES MY SELF BECAUSE OF THE LIMITED AMOUNT OF MILES I PUT ON MY CAMARO ANYWAY (MAYBE 6000 A YEAR). I BELIEVE THE BLUE GOODYEAR HOSES ARE SAID TO BE "100,000 MILE HOSES", HOWEVER I HAVE SEEN MANY OEM BLACK HOSES WITH AS MUCH OR MORE ON THEM. RECOMMENDATIONS ON BLACK HOSES AND BELTS ARE CHANGE AT 40,000 I THINK, DEPENDANT ON MANUFACTURER BUT THEY ARE ALSO IN THE BUSINESS OF SELLING THESE PARTS! I AM ALSO A PROPONENT OF PREVENTATIVE MAINTAINENCE AS WELL BUT WE NEED TO USE OUR DOLLARS WISELY SO WE USE OUR HEADS. THAT'S MY TAKE ON THE HOSES. A 9 INCH, BETTER BRAKES, GUAGES, GOOD SHIFTER, "Z" TIRES, SUSPENSION, MORE GO FAST, BRAIDED HOSES WOULD PROBABLY TAKE PRESIDENCE OVER THE SILICONE RAD HOSES ON MY CAR BUT IT'S WHAT YOU LIKE THAT MATTERS. MY 2 CENTS. TAKE IT EASY, TOPRADMAN.......
----------
BY THE WAY, IF YOU'RE RUNNING ATI BY CHANCE, WHAT HEAD UNIT AND HOW MUCH BOOST ARE YOU GETTING ON A BOOST GUAGE. I HAVE A P1SC AND HUGE CUSTOM BUILT CHARGE AIR COOLER AND MY FRESH HEAD UNIT IS ONLY MAKING 6 PSI BUT MY OLD P600B MADE 9PSI AND I'M NOT WELL PLEASED. HAVE THE SMALLEST PULLEYS ATI MAKES AND AM THINKING I MAY GET A CUSTOM PULLEY FOR THE CRANK AT 8.25" OD TO REPLACE ATI'S. POWERING A 383 AL HEAD TPI BIGMOUTH SETUP WITH ROLLER APPROX 580 LIFT 1.6 ROCKER MOTOR, ETC.......

Last edited by topradman; 01-04-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost