Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

HOw to convert to electric fan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 camaro, 92 yota 4runner
Engine: 305 lg4 out of 81 z28
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: Not sure believe its 3.23
HOw to convert to electric fan?

Sorry, this has probably been posted many times before. Ok i have an 84 FB with LG4 305, right now it have a clutch fan but i want to convert it to electric, i have 2 electric fans here that i were given to me by a friend, they are out of jeeps. Id like to put them in, i know how to hoke them up to a manual switch, but id like them to work with the cars temp, not having to flip on a switch everytime it starts to heat up. What do i need to make this work, i know i probably need some kind of temp sensor aye? Where does it go and any idea how it hooks up? thanks!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: HOw to convert to electric fan?

Originally Posted by jlc84cam350
i have 2 electric fans here that i were given to me by a friend, they are out of jeeps. Id like to put them in, i know how to hoke them up to a manual switch, but id like them to work with the cars temp, not having to flip on a switch everytime it starts to heat up. What do i need to make this work, i know i probably need some kind of temp sensor aye? Where does it go and any idea how it hooks up?
I converted from belt to OE dual electrics in the following manner:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cool...electrics.html

JamesC
Old 07-28-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 LG4 4 bbl
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: HOw to convert to electric fan?

I know this thread is old but I was doing my research on here as well since I am converting my 1985 Z28 from a belt to an electric cooling fan. I didn't much like the answers I found on here so I went on a Sabbatical from my project digging through my '86 parts car wiring harness and my Chiltons manual wiring diagrams. I discovered that the cooling fan electric system is separate from the computer.

Just find an 86 parts car with single (My 86 car had a single fan) or dual (The diagram in Chiltons depicts a dual fan system) and remove the entire wiring harnes, follow the color codes for the wires for the cooling fan system and remove it. You will have to remove all the wire covering and factory wiring tape. Do not cut any wires until you are sure you don't need it. I know that the cooling fan system works hand in hand with the AC system but you don't need the AC system components obviously.

The main components you need are: Cooling fan relay, Cooling fan switch plug and the cooling fan plug. If its a dual fan system then you will need to remove two cooling fan switches from the block. Since I am going with a single then I only needed to remove the cooling fan switch from the passenger side head.

Single fan: Red=full time hot, Brn/wht=hot in run, grn=coolant fan switch (which grounds when the temp is reached), Blk/red=hot to fan, Blk=to ground (it's on the other side of the fan plug.

To hook it up and test it: Plug in fan, red to pos on bat, Blk/Wht to pos on bat, Blk to Neg on bat, use a small screw driver and touch the side to neg and poke the end into the cooling fan switch plug. The fan should run.