Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89' Camaro RS--
Engine: 305--
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 2.73--
issues.

alright just bought my camaro like 3 or 4 weeks ago. And recently the temp gauge stopped working and i got a small small leak at the thermostat. but that was because the bolt was just a little loose. So i deiced well i was just going to take it off replace the gasket get a new thermostat yadda yadda. and im pretty sure my fans aren't kicking in at all. atleast not that we could see or feal or anything. And my temp gauges still broken. So what do i do to fix this? Also i have an aftermrket temp gauge also i want to have both of them work... how do i accomplish this? so any ideas on the fan and gauges let me know.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:14 PM

Re: issues.

For starters, check the fuse for the cooling fan relay, under the driver side dash in the fuse box. Its a 20 amp fuse. Next, jump the ADLD connector, pins 5 and 6(not sure) with a bent paper clip, turn the ignition ON and see if the fan kicks on. As for the temp gauges, you may need a new sending unit.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:40 AM

Can anyone confirm using pins 5 and 6?? If they are the ones then i will test that out tonight...If the fan comes on what should i assume? everythings all good? if it doesnt come on what should i assume?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:35 PM

What kind of aftermarket gauge do you have? Is that connected to the temp sending unit? If you are confused by these things, I recommend you purchase a Haynes or Chiltons Repair Manual.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:14 PM

Its a sunpro gauge... i believe its a few years old i don't think its a recent one... but no its not connected... thats only connected into the shifter lights... so it glows and thats about it... But the wires are almost ran to the sending unit they just need like 6 or so inches added on and then spliced in... But i don't want to do that right now in case i need to replace it because i don't want to deal with the hassle... But before i buy a new one i want to know if its even bad... so anyone have nay ideas on fixing it?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:06 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 bolt 3.27

I have a related cooling question. Bruce at Hawks tells me that removing the upper air dam/air baffle in my `88 Iroc will not cause any overheating problems. This is contrary to what I have been reading on this site. What gives?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89' IROC-Z
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-Bolt/2.73

Originally Posted by naterman35
alright just bought my camaro like 3 or 4 weeks ago. And recently the temp gauge stopped working and i got a small small leak at the thermostat. but that was because the bolt was just a little loose. So i deiced well i was just going to take it off replace the gasket get a new thermostat yadda yadda. and im pretty sure my fans aren't kicking in at all. atleast not that we could see or feal or anything. And my temp gauges still broken. So what do i do to fix this? Also i have an aftermrket temp gauge also i want to have both of them work... how do i accomplish this? so any ideas on the fan and gauges let me know.
New temp sending unit and you should be good...its what I had to do. Plus check fuses and relays too. Your fan relay might not be good. Check all these and replace only whats needed.

Originally Posted by jimdutro
I have a related cooling question. Bruce at Hawks tells me that removing the upper air dam/air baffle in my `88 Iroc will not cause any overheating problems. This is contrary to what I have been reading on this site. What gives?
Upper air dam....you mean the one under the car that directs air to the radiator....I heard this was needed big time...just the fans are needed when sitting still like in traffic jams and sheibe.

But for me...I have my condensor removed and have a stage 2 waterpump with 180 stat and royal purple up to 30 degree reduced temps Coolant Additive. Its good sheibe.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:30 PM

Alright im good now. My fan is kicking on... After a long weekend full of headaches its turning on. now im set. Thanks for the help. It turned out being the cooling fan switch or soemthign along thoose lines.