Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Mysterious Overheat Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Z28
Engine: L98 H/C/I - 400whp
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Moser 12-Bolt(4:30 w/spool)
Mysterious Overheat Issues

This has happened two times in the last three weeks... last night being the first time I was actually out driving the car. It started a few weeks ago during the hefty ice storm we got in the midwest, the car was garaged in an un-heated room so I started the car every few days and let it run for a while. Well one day, I let the car run and I was tinkering around the garage with other stuff and forgot to turn my cooling fans on, well the car started to over heat and I shut it off, no problem.

Last night, in 28degree weather or so, I finally got the car out and went and met up with the other FBody guys who also finally brought their cars out. I went through and did my pre-check list since the car hadn't been driven in a while... checked tires, radiator level, reserve tank level, oil, etc. Everything was fine so I took off. Never drove long distances, just for like 5 mins then parked, then another 10 mins then parked, etc.(car being turned off in park and hanging out for good half hour or so before starting it up). At end of night, drove for longest of maybe 20 minutes to friends house to drop him off and head home, I got home, put it in park and shut off the engine and I got a little overheating issue. I kept my fans on and let the car sit for good 10 minutes or so and go under the hood. After cooling down enough, I opened radiator and it was bone dry, so was reserve.

Today, I put in full thing of coolant, and half gallon of another coolant jug and then a little water and it sucked it right down. So I put in a little more water and more coolant and it still sucked it down, as if the engine had nothing left in it. Not once on the road did the car act like it was over-heating, or were there any puddles when stopped or smell of antifreeze. I was never getting on it, fans were on whole time, and it was around 25degrees out, and was only being driven for small distances. I started the car and let it idle for a while but there are zero signs of leaks and last night after it over-heated there were zero signs of leaks.

What's your answer?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:24 PM

Car: 1984 Trans-Am WS6
Engine: WAS: 5.0HO, SOON: ZZ383-425HP.
Transmission: 700R4 with shift kit
When i had a problem like that i didn't get any puddels but i would go for a drive and when id get back the coolent would be very low.
Untill one day i was driving and all of a sudden all i see is steam and a loud hissing noise, i pull over and pop the hood but i cant see anything weird took the cap off the rad yep its empty.
Hmmm looked down the back of the engine and it was soaked, one of the rear welsh plugs blew out. i found out it was leaking the hole time but only when the system had lots of preshure in it.
So it didn't leak when it was parked.

EDIT: Fixed it. (Im at work, i had to rush my post coz my boss was like 7 feet away)

Last edited by VenomX-87; 02-06-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:36 PM

Car: 87 Camaro IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
i dont think we can believe anything from a guy who calls a hood a "bonnet"

lol j/k...auzzies are cool...except steve irwin...i hate him...

anyways...ya if it stops happening then obivously the problem corrected itself, but if it hasnt, my guess would be some loose fittings or hoses that only leak under pressure. does your engine have a problem warming up or staying cool now?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:34 PM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: LT1
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LSD
Well "Gramps" i don't think you gotta worry about Steve Irwin anymore, stingray fixed that for ya. As for your overheating problem i'd check your thermostat alot of time if you over heat'em once they break and cause the car to over heat again, and i would watch it while it warms up with the HOOD open and see exactly what is happening.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:00 PM

Well my name is Steve but my last name aint Irwin.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:13 PM

Eh, think I found the problem today. It's an easy fix but slightly time consuming. The original stock L98 heads were attempted to be shaved/decked by the previous owner and he failed miserably, so just two months ago, new heads from a '89 T/A were installed and poor head gaskets were used. Apparently a gasket already gave up and I have a leak, so all that coolant I was dumping in went straight into the block, so antifreeze has mixed with my oil. Looks like I have a good week or two job ahead of me pulling it apart and making sure everything else is okay too.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 PM

Damn that aint good, Hopefully it hasent damaged the engine.
well good luck, atleast you didn't go to far with the screwed head gasket. It should be just a new gasket and flushing all the **** oil out of the engine.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by VenomX-87
Damn that aint good, Hopefully it hasent damaged the engine.
well good luck, atleast you didn't go to far with the screwed head gasket. It should be just a new gasket and flushing all the **** oil out of the engine.
Yeah, the car is rarely touched, just happened to finally bring it out the other night. Must of had a small leak and then it finally gave way cause it fumbles and bumbles if started. Ah well, if worse comes to worse, I have other L98 heads sitting around too. Hopefully I'll get started as early as tomorrow...