Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

aluminum radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 firebird s/e
Engine: 388ci stroker
Transmission: stock, t-5?
aluminum radiator

i put a new engine in my car two summers ago and i had a stock radiator in it and its not a very old radiator...im running cat extended life coolent in it, coolent that the big cat riggs have, it works great...but i just got a nice big crack in teh plastic part of my radiator and ive epoxied it for now but as soon as i get paid i would like to replace it im not sure how much horsepower i have currently because its hard to locate a dyno up here in alaska and i would like an all aluminum radiator but i dotn want to pay out the *** for one but i want one that i can have confidence in...if i end up payin 500 and somethin in the end ill say its because of shipping but at least id have one i can trust...and i am also running a stock belt driven fan.

i was lookin at jegs website and i saw they had some lightweight ones that would probably fit but i wasnt sure if they could handle a heavy foot like mine seeing how they were only $179.99...i also noticed that Be Cool had one that would fit for $499 and was good for 1,000 hp applications where as the 700hp applications were over $600.
thanks for any and all your input on my situation

brent
Old 08-29-2006, 12:33 AM

Car: 1991 pro street formula
Engine: 355
Transmission: turbo 350 w/ 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 9" ford detroit locker w/ 456
the universal radiators from jegs work great. you might think about an electric fan and shroud kit also available from jegs or summit. a word of caution though. the universals require extensive modifications to install them correctly. a direct fit application, all be it more money, will make life easier.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:59 AM

Car: 87 Monte Carlo ss
Engine: ZZ4 1.5 rollers 650DP
Transmission: Probuilt 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 8.5 GN 3.42
I have the be cool set up with electric fans and let me tell you they work!!!!!! I had a problem with the car running to cold after we put them on.It was pretty easy to put in.It still needed a little modding to work. It is very expensive but worth it and I am also planning on upgrading in the future for 550+hp, so I figured I would get it over with now and by it.My guess is the Jegs rad. would work good if you are not running more than 600hp.As for the fan you could buy a spal or another brand of electric fan and have similar results.The only thing is the mods that fastcar06 said. It is a real pain in the butt if you are not good with fabricating parts. I have seen people take days to put a universal rad. in and if you can't do it yourself then your going to pay a proffesinal more than its worth. I would buy the direct fit. A lot less stress!!!