Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

How To: Manual Control Of Dual Fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird Formula WS6
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
How To: Manual Control Of Dual Fans

i've seen recently alot of questions on what wires to tap into for controlling your dual fans manually so i thought i would put together a quick how to...

Materials needed

About 10 Feet 16 gauge wire
2 Switches (i just use the standard 2 prong black toggle switches)
2 Splices (if you choose to go this route)
Wire Strippers/Crimpers
4 Female Connectors For the Switches (unless you want to solder the wires on)
2 O-ring connector thingys
Shrink Tube Or Electrical Tape

First you need to locate the relays under your hood... they should be located on their little holder on the firewall on the drivers side... there should be 3 relays

The two relays your going to be using is the relay with the Orange,Brown,Black with red Stripe, and Green With White Stripe wires. This is your Primary Fan Relay. Your Secondary Fan relay is the one with the Orange, Brown, Black with Red Stripe and Gray Wire.

now that you have your relays located its time to hop in the car and look for a suitable place to put your switches.... once you've found the place i suggest making the nessecary attachment arrangements whether its screwing a switch plate or drilling a hole for the switch.

now that you found the spot for your switch and its ready to be mounted your ready to tap into the relays.... for your primary fan your going to want to tap into the green wire with the white stripe... how you tap into it is up to you... you can use a wire splice or you can make a T connection... its your call.... now your going to want to do the same for the secondary fan... this time your going to tap into the gray wire on the secondary fan relay....

once your wires are tapped in your going to route them to where you've located your switches.... i have mine inside the car so i ran them through the grommet right by the brake pedal...if you want you can drill a new hole....

run these wires to your switch and attach them to one of the prongs on your switch..... the primary fan switch gets the primary fan wire, the secondary fan switch gets the secondary fan wire... Note: if you bought a 3 prong switch attach the fan wires to the Accessory Prong! *im not going to get into hooking up the light or an LED thats pretty simple to figure out* :P

once your fan wires are hooked up to their respective switches in the manner you've choosen whether its connectors or soldering... your going to want to attach a wire to the other prong on both switches and run that to a ground... *3 prong switch use the Lead marked power for the ground*... throw the o-ring connector thingys on the opposite end...

a good ground inside the car i found was if you take off that cover over your legs in the driver seat if you look up kinda behind the radio theres a bolt with a ground attached to it... its a 10 mm bolt.... i found this an easy place for my ground

now once everything is hooked up.... turn the igniton to the on position and turn your switches on and off... if you did everything correctly your fans should go on and off when you turn the switches on and off.... now because your using the factory relays it'll only work when the ignition is on.... and the fans wont go on if the cars off.... so you dont have to worry about accidently leaving your fans on!

anyways i think that covers just about everything.... if i've forgotten something feel free to add and i'll edit my post.... its now 6 am and ive been up for over 20 hours so i might of missed something...

Here is a quick wiring diagram i through together for quick visual reference

Last edited by jethawk; 08-06-2006 at 05:24 AM.