Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Quick question about coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1998 Volvo S70
Engine: B5254S Engine
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: It's a volvo?
Quick question about coolant?

I was wondering if its ok to mix orange coolant with a little bit of green coolant?

I bought coolant awhile ago, my car is pretty low on it now, it is at the tip of the coolant drain thats in the coolant tank...or a little over I have no idea anyway.

The only coolant that I have is this orange one, premixed I believe...I did a coolant flush last year, but I was wondering if its ok if I can go ahead and put in that orange coolant?

Or should I just put water in instead?

Is it gonna hurt anything if I mix orange coolant with green?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Pair of 92 Z28s
Id just add water...the orange stuff is for aluminum engines i beilive.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:03 PM

Car: 1983 T/A
Engine: OUT (350 Block)
Transmission: 700-R4 sometimes
Axle/Gears: 3.23, moser 12 bolt >=3.73 someday
If it is orange universal from prestone I beleive, it is ok. If it is a dexcool substitute, NO. Do not. When dexcool comes in contact with air it creates a mucky buildup. We see it alot with the GM 3.1 3.4 and 3.8L V6's at my work when their intake gasket leaks. If green and dexcool are mixed then we recomend a flush. If we ever see them mixed we flush them. The DEXCOOL engines are supposed to be that because it is a silicate free system. I beleive the aluminum heads / engines are supposed to have a silicate free coolant. Not sure why... I just do what im told. Universal is just that, universal. It might say dexcool approved. BUT if it is for silicate free cooling systems only, then no.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:39 PM

What Tad said.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:08 AM

Car: 1983 T/A
Engine: OUT (350 Block)
Transmission: 700-R4 sometimes
Axle/Gears: 3.23, moser 12 bolt >=3.73 someday
Evidently I lied to some extent.
THE HERD: DEX-COOL Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant.

Note that contrary to what some may say (or write), you can indeed mix Dex-Cool and conventional coolant with no ill effects. However, if there is more than 10% of conventional coolant in the system this will reduce the concentration of the Carboxylate such that conventional coolants change intervals must be followed. In other words, if you mix it, you can't leave it in for 100,000 miles or 6 years, but instead should treat a mix just like conventional coolant and change it every year until the concentration of Dex-Cool is over 90%.
and

http://www.penray.com/bulletins/dexcool.htm

Can DEXCOOL organic acid antifreeze be mixed with ethylene glycol antifreeze?
It is ethylene glycol based antifreeze! The concern with mixing comes from the fact that there are very different chemical inhibitor packages in use. Most leading technologies will work very well when used as intended, typically at 50% in good quality water. If the coolants become mixed with DEXCOOL, however, one study showed a possible aluminum corrosion problem in certain situations. The other question is a concern for dilution of the protection packages. At what mix is the there too little of either inhibitor to protect the engine? As a precaution, both GM and Caterpillar instruct that contaminated systems must be maintained as if they contained only conventional coolant.
That is why we always reccomend a flush b/c most owners stil think the 6 yr 100K is still in effect. And as stated before, damage to aluminum cylinder heads and blocks.
Just stick to one or another if possible. Water is a true universal though =D

Last edited by tad1214; 04-26-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:43 PM

Car: 1998 Volvo S70
Engine: B5254S Engine
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: It's a volvo?
yeah thanks a bunch guys...I actually just added a bit of bottled water to not really top it off, but to fill it to some extent so its not as low..I think the reason why I am going through coolant so fast is that my radiator cap is bad...

I bought a new one some time ago, I havent installed it, and now I have no idea where it went, so I probably have to go and buy another one...the radiator cap I have on now, is gonna be a pain in the *** to take off. First off, I dont know who did it, but the tabs that latch the cap into place are bent as hell...I can move it a little but, its so messed up I have to think twice before I take off this cap...
Old 04-26-2006, 03:19 PM

Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 584
Transmission: TSI Glide
Axle/Gears: Quick performance 9 inch
The new DEXCOOL cooling systems are supposed to go for 100k according to general motors becauase of its high sil. content. Although they rarely get that far because the system gets air into it and it all turns to muddy water. Once you mix the green with it the dex cool system is ruined and you will have a very hard time getting it back to pure orange again. I was talking with a couple of aftermarket head makers at a vendors show and they were all saying to only use green antifreeze that is approved for aluminum as well as distilled water because the minerals can eat into the aluminum. just my .02