Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

White Smoke coming out of dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: THE LT1 SWAP SHALL BEGIN!!!!
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: LSD! =(
White Smoke coming out of dash

Theres this white thin smoke coming out of the dash vents and the AC CONTROL area... it comes out when everything is off or on.. mostly when it is off. it smells really disgusting like old people or old water nasty smell... What could this be? I dont see any leakage from the heater core onto my carpet!?? could it be something else??
Old 12-22-2005, 09:49 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60
It could be a pin-hole sized leak. I've seen it happen. Not enough to leak onto the carpet, but enough to cause ill-smelling vapor.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28 CAMARO
Engine: 305 TPI,stock
Transmission: 700R4, 2800 stall
Have fun changing the heater core. It's dooable but a royal pain in da azz. The entire dash needs to come apart. But it only took me about 3-4 hours from start to finish. I still have a screw or bolt stuck inside there some where, I can hear it when the car turns left or right. Drink a few beers and limit the frustration and swearing.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:47 AM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 350 (CCC QJet)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 9 bolt
Originally posted by 91Z28TTOP
Have fun changing the heater core. It's dooable but a royal pain in da azz. The entire dash needs to come apart. But it only took me about 3-4 hours from start to finish. I still have a screw or bolt stuck inside there some where, I can hear it when the car turns left or right. Drink a few beers and limit the frustration and swearing.
WTF! It isnt that hard! Took me the hole of 45 minutes! Remove the passenger lower and middle dash. Remove the HVAC housing. etc. etc. Use the manual to start, then use a little logic and muscle.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:27 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '84 Berlinetta
Engine: ZZ4
Transmission: BT0D stage 3 w/22oo
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi disc
Unless you happen to have a berlinetta... then it turns into a 4 day project from a royal pain. Digital dashes are great until you hae to take them apart, and no manual covers them. I just prey that thing never goes out again....

But yeah, the white smoke is from the heater core. Replace it before it realy goes and all you can see is steam coming from every nook and cranny, hanging your head out the window to drive. Have fun!!!!
Old 12-25-2005, 02:16 AM
Supreme Member

NEGATIVE it is not the heater core it has something to do with the AC leaking something into the air system it doesnt come out through all vents and it isnt leaking anything or getting all foggy it just smells like something moldy.. I took it to a shop and they said it wasnt my heatercore it was something to do with the AC ... I shall remove the ac assembly tommorow, is this hard to do by the way? and if I remove it will the air pump make alot of noise??

Originally posted by Berlinetta00
Unless you happen to have a berlinetta... then it turns into a 4 day project from a royal pain. Digital dashes are great until you hae to take them apart, and no manual covers them. I just prey that thing never goes out again....

But yeah, the white smoke is from the heater core. Replace it before it realy goes and all you can see is steam coming from every nook and cranny, hanging your head out the window to drive. Have fun!!!!
Old 12-25-2005, 02:17 AM
Supreme Member

thanks for all your replies though! apprciate the help!
Old 12-25-2005, 08:21 AM

Car: 91 Z28 CAMARO
Engine: 305 TPI,stock
Transmission: 700R4, 2800 stall
If you'r AC is still in working order then you'll have to have a shop discharge the system before you take it apart. It will be under pressure and is dangerous to take apart in that state. If you'r not sure on it's charge status you can test it be depressing the nipple in the zerk fitting on the rail. But I would just take it to a shop and have them discharge it.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:41 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Well then, I stand corrected. My next best bet woul be the accumulator, located in the black composite housing on the pass. side firewall. You can safely remove the housig without discharging the system and inspect the accumulato for leaks. It looks like a high pressure heater core, and can spring leaks around the same places, like where the fins join the ends of the ousing, or where the hoses come in at. You can buy a die for refigerant which will show exactly where its leaking from, which is cheaper than discharing the system and then trying to solve the problem. I hope this helps,
Old 12-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

When I put the A/C setting on max or normal no cold air comes out just regular tempature air.... does this mean it isnt charged? and how does it make it dangerous? will it blow up in my face if I try removing it?

Originally posted by 91Z28TTOP
If you'r AC is still in working order then you'll have to have a shop discharge the system before you take it apart. It will be under pressure and is dangerous to take apart in that state. If you'r not sure on it's charge status you can test it be depressing the nipple in the zerk fitting on the rail. But I would just take it to a shop and have them discharge it.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member

Well then, I stand corrected. My next best bet woul be the accumulator, located in the black composite housing on the pass. side firewall. You can safely remove the housig without discharging the system and inspect the accumulato for leaks. It looks like a high pressure heater core, and can spring leaks around the same places, like where the fins join the ends of the ousing, or where the hoses come in at. You can buy a die for refigerant which will show exactly where its leaking from, which is cheaper than discharing the system and then trying to solve the problem. I hope this helps,
Now it only seems to smoke out in the mornings when I first turn on my car.... wierd... or when the car has been sitting for a loooong time.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:19 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

You can check to see if it is charged by breifly depressing the valve on one of those highlighted fittings. If gas hisses out, the system is charged. If nothing coes out, then your system has discharged itself through a leak. The accumulator is in the housing right behind the reciever dryer, which is the shiny cylinder with the highlighted fittings on it. If the system is charged, like I said, you can still inspect the accumulator by reoving the housing and looking for leaks (the oil used in R134a is red mineral oil, which if its burning, smells like you described). Have a shop dischare the refigerant before removing any of the fittings, R12 and R13a destroy ozone by attacking the O3 molicules and splitting them in an unstabe and continuing chain. As I recall, there is no limit to how many O3 molicules onemolicule of R12 can destroy, so it is best for the environment to have a shop discharge and recycle the refrigerant. There is no human side affect that I am aware of, but I dont suggest huffing the stuff either Hope this helps
Old 12-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Supreme Member

they told me it can freeze my eyes

You can check to see if it is charged by breifly depressing the valve on one of those highlighted fittings. If gas hisses out, the system is charged. If nothing coes out, then your system has discharged itself through a leak. The accumulator is in the housing right behind the reciever dryer, which is the shiny cylinder with the highlighted fittings on it. If the system is charged, like I said, you can still inspect the accumulator by reoving the housing and looking for leaks (the oil used in R134a is red mineral oil, which if its burning, smells like you described). Have a shop dischare the refigerant before removing any of the fittings, R12 and R13a destroy ozone by attacking the O3 molicules and splitting them in an unstabe and continuing chain. As I recall, there is no limit to how many O3 molicules onemolicule of R12 can destroy, so it is best for the environment to have a shop discharge and recycle the refrigerant. There is no human side affect that I am aware of, but I dont suggest huffing the stuff either Hope this helps
Old 01-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Supreme Member

Problem Found

Found the Problem!

here they are!

I should Start a tech article but I feel we have gone to far in this topic and it is too late, but here are some pics of what to look for if you may experiance the same situation as me... white soft smoke with a disgusting odor..... coming out of the air control assembly

This is how it looks like after you have disconnected all those wires and vaccum hoses... its a bitch... but I removed it from my console with in 40 minutes, did it during my 1 hour lunch

Here is the part where it was burning and smoking from
as you can see .. it appears to be warping the plastic near the number 4 and 3

Im currently bidding a new assembly on e-bay hopefully I win! or else im going to be freezing in the morning and at night...

Old 01-09-2006, 11:00 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 241 Likes on 196 Posts
New assembly on eBay? Just get a new switch. Dealers should have them or be able to get them, and should eat the shipping costs.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:29 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac GTA
Engine: 5.7 l98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: BW 9bolt with torsen carrier
Re: Problem Found

Originally Posted by Psycho_91Camaro
Found the Problem!

here they are!

I should Start a tech article but I feel we have gone to far in this topic and it is too late, but here are some pics of what to look for if you may experiance the same situation as me... white soft smoke with a disgusting odor..... coming out of the air control assembly

This is how it looks like after you have disconnected all those wires and vaccum hoses... its a bitch... but I removed it from my console with in 40 minutes, did it during my 1 hour lunch

Here is the part where it was burning and smoking from
as you can see .. it appears to be warping the plastic near the number 4 and 3

Im currently bidding a new assembly on e-bay hopefully I win! or else im going to be freezing in the morning and at night...

this is a old post but there are no pics? Does anyone know what was smoking if it wasn't core?