Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

No power to electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Bitchin' 92 RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
No power to electric fan

Hey guys, i got a 92 RS, and the fan isn't working, i've tested for relays, the fan itself, and i did this with the key turned in the ignition with the engine off and a/c switch on (this should put power to the fan) and got out the power tester, and i have no power to the black/red wire for the fan. i don't know why, couldn't find any shorts, fuse is good, and so is the relay. what could cause this?

thanks for all the help,

Kyle
Old 07-21-2005, 05:13 PM

i found a wire, that was shorted, just to the right of the battery, about 6 or so wires come together on a connector, i'm fixing it right now, i'll let you know if this solves my problem
Old 07-21-2005, 06:05 PM

Car: 1988 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 5.7L Tuned Port Injection
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.27
Are you having problems with the secondary fan, or the main one? I am having the same problem with my secondary fan. I have power at the Orane, Tan and Green wires, which should switch the relay and give the fan power, but it's not!! I've even shorted out the constant power to the fan feed, and the fan turned on. so you assume the relay is the culprit right? wrong.. I took oneof the same relays (same P/N) from the cluster on the drivers side firewall, and swapped them... still no worky.... I'm at a complete loss.

So..here's what I have

Orange wire 14V
Tan Wire 14V
Green wire 14V

what gives?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:54 PM

Car: 1988 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 5.7L Tuned Port Injection
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.27
Found out my problem.. maybe this is your's as well.

Found out that the Green wire should have continuity to ground in order for the relay to switch, which I did not, actually had 14V. How does this wire have voltage? Well.. it goes to the ECM, so there is a small floating amount of voltage there, not enough to run anything though (my friend came over to help me.. he's an electrical engineer) So..why is it not grounded? The sensor is done.. I was concerned with the A/C fan operation.. so we shorted out the a/c sensor plug for the fan operation and tada!! we have secondary cooling fan operation. Soooo... bad sensor on the A/C line... am I going to replace it?? LOL.. NOPE.. don't want to lose all my refrigerant.. so I am going to run two wires into my glove box from the sensor wire, and I am going to simply switch the ground maually, switching the relay and powering the fan. Even when I get a new sensor, when I have the money for more refrigerant and the sensor, I will have manual operation of the secondary fan if I need it.

Anyy questions... give me a shout, I'll see if I can be of any help.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:46 AM

that budle of wires by the battery i mention, when i fixed the shorted wire it solved my problem. I only have one fan, crummy RS lol.

thanks for the help.

Mods, you know what to do with this now.....

Kyle