Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Fan Shroud Problems Need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: Future: LSX Turbo
Transmission: built T-56
Fan Shroud Problems Need HELP

Alright ive almost completed my summit aluminum radiator and B&M supercooler install which on an 89 GTA with dual fans was NOT easy

anyways i am down to putting the fans back on and the fan shroud will not fit seeing as how the radiator is much thicker than the previous

I have no idea how to cut the shroud to make it fit....it is about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch from fitting the holes properly...

would it just be smarter to use plumbers strap or some other rubber type material to hold the fans in place and hold the rad down??

Please give me some advice or methods of doing this properly
Old 03-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Supreme Member

ttt
Old 03-30-2005, 02:39 PM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 350 (CCC QJet)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 9 bolt
Cant solve all those probs but, plumbers pipe strap is not very rigid.

I attempted to mount my duals (16" and a 10" ) and the strap was to flimsy.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23
I believe there is a univeral mount for fans.

You might do some searching on the guys that upgraded to Griffin Radiators. Most seem to make new upper and lower mounts that are wide enough to support the radiator and long enough to allow fan mounts. They also add small patches of rubber to the radiator to keep it from rubbing or vibrating.

When I did my GM 31x19 upgrade I lucked out and it was just a little thicker than stock so I retained my old upper and lower mounts. I used my "special engineering" and connected the new electric fans (2 12"s I believe) with 2 or 3 zip ties on each one of the OEM mounting holes and connected the fans together. I would check the status of the ties every oil change. I never had problems with them. The proper way would have been to design new mounts to fit the application but I did not feel like taking the time when the project was forced on me.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

thx for the idea i have already began with a piece of sheet metal that i have cut to fit pretty well...i plan on using the previous lower posts to be the main source of holding for the two fans while the top single post on each fan will be held into place by the flap of sheet metal which i will of course line with rubber (from some old floor mats) to keep vibration and noise down

let me know what you think of this idea i still need to drill some holes in the sheet metal...i am also going to use the sheet metal to hold the radiator back a little to keep it from moving around...too hard to explain but it should work out

oh and i will paint it black it so it doesnt look too terrible
Old 04-05-2005, 12:43 PM

Car: 88 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Have you completed the sheet metal fabrication? How did it turn out? I'm faced with replacing my own radiator while contemplating a dual fan setup as well. I haven't decided yet since I couldn't imagine how to deal with the shroud issue. Any personal experiences would be helpful.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Supreme Member

yes i did and the car is up and running great

ill go ahead and list every single thing i did bc thats what i would have liked to have found when i did it myself but had to find out through hours of work.

1. take off the air cleaner system completely
2. removed my dual fans and the top shroud
3. disconnected all my hoses connected to the old radiator

quick note: I also installed a b&M transcooler which is a good idea i think if your already replacing your Rad. but takes extra time.. take into account steps i took that delt with that

4. After i removed the air intake system including disconnecting wiring for MAF sensor and the two fan wiring plugs...removed fans..and pulled the radiator out of the car.

quick note: My previous brass radiator had fittings for an internal trans oil cooler (steel hard lines from the transmission) **furthermore my heater core had leaked so i had one of the two heater hoses plugged and the other leading into my old radiator**

now to the fitment of an ALUMINUM SUMMIT racing RADIATOR 31 X 19

**THE RADIATOR WILL NOT FIT AT ALL WITHOUT MODIFICATION

5. i had to take a hammer and flatten two lips of metal (one on each side of the metal inner wheel well) that were keeping the radiator from going all the way to the bottom rad. support

6. During the process of pulling and reinserting the rad. 3 or 4 times the hardlines kept getting in the way and i knew they had to be cut so i cut both hardlines just infront of the sway bar

7. i mounted my trans cooler through my ac condensor using the zip tie style straps B&M sends with the kit (do NOT run through your aluminum rad. will rub core and cause leaks) I only ran it through my condesor bc it doesnt do anything anyways (I HAVE NO AC) and i couldnt remove it

hint: If you need mount the transcooler with regular zip ties to the X cross bars that sit infront of your condesor

8. ill finish tonight but i have to do other things first sorry