Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Stewart Stage II water pump, Problems with the pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 06:35 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: 350 miniram
Transmission: T-56
Stewart Stage II water pump, Problems with the pulley

I had a Stewart Stage I on the car first. Brand new and for some reason it kept leaking where it attaches to the block. So after the second time doing it and it leaked again I said screw it, if I am taking it off again I am going to replace it with the aluminum Stage II.

Thats exactly what I did. I got the other pump off and put in the Stage II pump. Install went good until I got to putting the water pump pulley on.

First Problem, the bolts I had just used on the Stage I pump would not work, they were a different thread. So I go to my parts box and I was able to find 4 correct thread bolts to use with this water pump. Ok no big deal I think.

Second Problem, The pulley doesn't fully seat on the pump flange. I tried it on the Stage I pump and it seats perfect. I am thinking maybe the flange was pressed on a little to far and hopefully the bolts could pull it together. I'm still thinking this may not be a big deal.

Third and major problem, the bolt holes aren't even in the correct spots. The holes in my pulled would have to be elongated to even attempt to make this work.

Please tell me what is going on here? I am getting very frustrated with this already. My 3rd time redoing a water pump and I figured I would be good to go this time. So could they have shipped me the wrong pump? Sure looks like its right and the invoice is for the 87+ CCW rotation.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 406 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
Send the thing back. I had a problem with my Stage 2 pump as well. The pully would visibly "wobble" when you spun it around, as if there was some runout on the mounting point for the pully. I sent it back to them and they returned it after saying there was othing wrong with it, but magically, the problem was fixed.....
Old 05-23-2004, 09:28 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: 350 miniram
Transmission: T-56
I figured I would probably have to send it back. This just sucks... that will be the third time I will have to remove this thing. I sure hope they are going to cover all the costs of this.

Anybody else have any problems like I'm having?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2004, 12:12 AM

Me too. Any explanation as to the cause?