Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Overheating Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305 H.O.
Transmission: 700-R4
Overheating Help

Whats up?

Alright i have an 84 305 H.O. trans am. The only mods to the cooling system would be a Jet Performance 180 stat...fan switch and computer chip. The radiator was replaces a couple years back but, the car hasnt been running for a couple of years and has been sitting around outside. So i'm guessing the fan isnt coming on when its suppose to but, when i turn on the ac the car overheats in 15minutes...in 80 degree temp. It had a tune up about a month ago before it passed smog and hasnt been driven more than 5 times due to the overheating problem. The air dam is there so that cant be the problem. Then the car just recently started stalling randomly and someone told me i should place the distributor. Any help would be appreciated..probaly something simple considering i dont know alot about cars, yet. I'm to the point where its getting so frustrating not being able to drive the car , that i'm just gonna throw in a brand new GM goodwrench 350 crate and start all over...ohwell...thanxs
Old 05-09-2004, 03:49 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: L05 350 TBI
Transmission: 700r4-slippin' on it's last leg
So you have a single electric fan on that car? Wow, I thought they only had clutch fans up until like 86...
So, when you turn the A/C on, does the fan come on?
You said the car has been sitting for a while, did you flush the cooling system? Have you topped off the radiator after the thermostat is open?
Maybe the thermostat is sticking?
Check the base timing, if it is off, then the car can also overheat.
If you drive the car, the temp does not drop at all?
If the air dam, thermo, water pump , and rad are all working, then it should be cooling, at least when driving.
Somebody else have any more ideas?
Old 05-09-2004, 04:03 PM
TA
Supreme Member

Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt
It seems like you are on to something with the A/C, but we need more info.

It overheats with the A/C on. Under the same conditions, does it not overheat with the A/C off?

Does it overheat while you are at highway speeds, (spoiler or shrouding) stop and go (Fan, clogged radiator), or while idling? (fan)

When you say it overheats, is that just the temp guage, does it boil over, or both? If it's running hot, will it cool down if you get it up on the highway and just run 60mph for a while?

Are you loosing coolant? Does the radiator blow a lot of bubbles when the thermostat is open? (head gasket might be gone)

These all point to problems with different things. Honestly, if the original problem is not resolved, your new crate motor will also overheat.

I would spend the few minutes to pull the thermostat out of the housing (when the engine is cold, mind you) to ensure it is not a stuck thermostat.

Troy
So Cal