Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Heater bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS Camaro (Jet Black)
Engine: 95 383 CI (6.3) LT1
Transmission: 95 T-56
Heater bypass?

How do i bypass my heater hoses? I currently have them cutoff right by the valve and honestly would love to remove them completely as it never gets below 40 here all year round. How do I bypass this and from where? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 z-28/SFC/bilsteins/adj.arms
Engine: 355sbc/Demon650dp/hedmanheaders/
Transmission: t-5, alum DS
Axle/Gears: 3.42 torsen posi, baer discs
just connect the hose from the inlet at the front of the intake manifold to the inlet at the rear of the intake.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by wdigitog
just connect the hose from the inlet at the front of the intake manifold to the inlet at the rear of the intake.

umm. no. thats not even the way the routing goes.

pasky:

you have a 91, so you'll have a couple places to cover.

first is the return on the radiator. it needs to be plugged. if you poke around a GOOD autoparts store, or a hardware store, you should find a rubber boot cover that will cover the hose nipple... put a hose clamp on it, for extra insurance.

put two more plugs over your heater core... thats the two connections on the firewall... this isnt needed, but it keeps crud from getting in there.

lastly, put a pipe plug in the manifold where the coolent comes out. if you dont want to (or cant) get the hose fitting out, you can cover it with the same plug cover you used on the radiator.... athough a flush fit allen key plug looks the coolest.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 252 Likes on 188 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45
So you're saying that the ONLY purpose of the outlet on the front of the manifold is to provide coolant to the throttle body and heating system, which returns it to radiator, and it has nothing at all to do with the general circulatory system? It does't even provide necessary aid or relief? I never realized that, but I never thought about it either. But it makes sense, since the system to and from the block/pump flows through the large upper and lower hoses.

So with my heater valve already removed for sometime now(AC is gone too), on my next flush when I bypass the throttle body, I can simply remove ALL of my remaining hoses, plug the manifold outlet and cover the radiator inlet? Cool, so I won't have to "snake" it from the outlet around my intake to the radiator.

But are you sure the clamped rubber cap on the radiator inlet can withstand the system pressure? I put one of those on my heater valve when I originally bypassed the core before removing the valve, and the pressure blew the top off of that rubber cap. The clamp held. It literally blew the rubber off the top of the cap. I guess I could keep extra caps and coolant in the car, but I'd rather not.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Irocz
Engine: 350TPI $6E
Transmission: 700R4
But are you sure the clamped rubber cap on the radiator inlet can withstand the system pressure? I put one of those on my heater valve when I originally bypassed the core before removing the valve, and the pressure blew the top off of that rubber cap. The clamp held. It literally blew the rubber off the top of the cap. I guess I could keep extra caps and coolant in the car, but I'd rather not.
You could use some ultracopper silicon in the caps and use double worm clams. Just be careful on the radiator with tightening because it's just plastic and can crack.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by LAFireboyd

ive never had a problem with it.... even with a aftermarket cap, pressure should never excede 16PSI...

if you were doing this as a perm thing and really wanted to be trick,
take out the radiator
cut off the tube with a dremel or hacksaw
fill the remaining hole with high temp plastic and epoxy..

done right and repainted black, noone will ever know.........