Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Error code 23 - MAT sensor low after doing trottle body by-pass

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 TA 305 F, '89 GTA 8
Engine: F 305 TPI, 8 350 TPI
Transmission: 700 r4
Error code 23 - MAT sensor low after doing trottle body by-pass

I have an '86 TA 305 F. I have years of experience driving in hot weather in Pheonix Arizona. I have an aluminum radiator, new water pump, new 160 t-stat, with 4 small holes drilled in it. I have a custom Air Deflector routing more air through the radiator. I got a baffle off of a '89 TA in the junk yard (my '86 didn't come with one), and my fan is wired to turn whenever my car is running. I am also scouring the bone-yards for a dual- fan radiator assembly to replace my single fan set-up. My heater broke years ago, so I dont care if my temperature gauge won't go past 150 degrees.

Everything was OK, till I did the throttle body coolant by-pass performance modification. Now I get error code 23 MAT low (manifold air temp sensor).

Should I even worry about it? The temperature here in southern Nevada doesn't even get below 30 degrees anyhow.

Can I run to cool?

What effect would runnung to cool with error code 23 do to the performance of the car?

Last edited by taman86; 02-17-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: "02 z-28
Engine: LS-1
Transmission: 4L60E
First, a trouble code will affect F/A ratio causing the ECM to default to a pre-programmed management routine. Second, that bypass mod is a total waste of time-it accomplishes nothing. One of my sport bikes is a Honda VTR-1000 with dual 48 mm carbs. It has a similiar setup where they run coolant through the carbs. At the prodding of some of my club members I did basically the same thing, bypassed the carb heat. When sitting at idle the bike would just shut off. I ran into a Honda rep at a show and he said it was idle air passage iceing. And, it would never idle correctly-it was all over the place at idle. And that was on an 80 degree day. My brother in law is an FAA certified flight instructor, he explained that it can happen to a small aircraft engine sitting on the runway. It is caused by the pressure difference between outside intake air and what goes through the carb(in this case) idle air passages. It is possible that the IAT is sensing too low an intake air temp especially during open loop or cold program running. There are those that think it's only there for cars in extremely cold climates. That is simply not true. There are those who will argue this till hell freezes over, but I have found that fooling with electronically controlled engines always cuases problems. Simply put, the engineers know a whole lot more than any shadetree mechanic. Put it back to the way it was.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the abridged version:

Replace the MAT and put the bypass back to original.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by breathment
the abridged version:

Replace the MAT and put the bypass back to original.
How true!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2004, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 TA 305 F, '89 GTA 8
Engine: F 305 TPI, 8 350 TPI
Transmission: 700 r4
error code 23

First of all, thankyou for the responses.

I put coolant lines back to original, and I still had the same problem.
So then I replaced MAT sensor, and realized that my wire connectors
running into the MAT were all buggured up. So now I'm going to the bone-yard to get a new wire apparatus to plug into my MAT
sensor.

At the same rime I had done the throttle-body coolant by-pass, I had lifted off the Plenum to port it out, and in the process,
the connector wires leading into the MAT sensor got all cracked, brittle and broken.

I'll repair my MAT sensor wires, get rid of error code 23, then I'll re-try the Throttle body by-pass modification.

Last edited by taman86; 02-22-2004 at 06:16 AM.