Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

LT1 swap 99% done...the little things

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Bright Red 91 GTA
Engine: CARBED LT4
Transmission: MK6
LT1 swap 99% done...the little things

ok today i got my coolant crossover tube from GM..i have the plugs for the fron 2 holes and im down to the stuff that doesnt come up untill the end....

the coolant tube goes from the back of the 2 heads and comes down the PAS side...obviously this needs to be tied into the cooling system...now my car has the external oil cooler that cycles coolant thorugh the oil filter adapter...those lines run really close to were that tube ends...

now what i wanna do is drill a hole in the return oil cooler line or sending, i guess it really doesnt matter....and put a "nipple" in the oil line and weld it in...thay way i can use some rubber hose and connect them...will it work?

2 more

the radiator..
i have heard people sayin that they used there stock radio for the swap..i even pmed a guy who did it and looked for the pics that he poste, but no luck...what do i have to do to use my stock radiator...

last one..

the accesory brackets...
before i put the water pump on i put the brackets on to see how close they would be...without the water pump on they line up on 3 of the 4 bolts...the last of which can be easily opend up to fit...
with the water pump on the inside edge of the bracket hits the water put...so i was thinking...if i cut a notch in the braket to get it to slide over the water pump..then i could still get 3 bolts and open up the 4th so id have all 4 botls into it...and be able to use my stock accersories and routing....

thanks guys!
Old 08-12-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when I put mine in I routed the head cooling into the suction side of the water pump through what is supposed to go to the heater core, since I'm not using one it was the best place to pick, then I capped off the discharge side of the pump going to the core.

heres a pic of the cooling hoses which hook up a stock radiator to the lt-1 motor, not the best looking in the world but it works.
Attached Thumbnails LT1 swap 99% done...the little things-lt-1-hoses.jpg  
Old 08-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Bright Red 91 GTA
Engine: CARBED LT4
Transmission: MK6
i think i see what you did...a better pic would be a lot cooler...but from what i see you routed the driver hose to the top of the pump and the pas hose to the bottom of the pump with a reducer of some sort because of the SBC/LT1 pump outlets being a different size...

am i correct?....what about the other 2?
thanks for the reply!
Old 08-12-2003, 06:41 PM

it may be easier to explain, the pump port with the thermostat in it always controls the output of the pump back to the top spout on the radiator, and the other is the suction side of the pump and is always hooked up to the bottom spout on the radiator. this is common on any motor of any kind.

so in essence, the pump spouts on a LT-1 pump point in opposite directions than those on a standard sbc water pump.

the two smaller lines on the lt-1 pump are for the heater core supply and return, my race car doesn't have a heater so I used one of them (the suction side) to accept the cooling water from the head cooling line and just capped the other one.

and yes, I had to finagle the hoses a little because of the different spout sizes. if you go to the parts store you can find some hoses that have two different size ends on them, just get one that looks like it will work and go from there, unfortunatly they don't make a molded hose for this swap so you have to be a little bit resourcefull when working this part out.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:58 AM

Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: LTX
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 strengthed 7.5 inch
Originally posted by 1986redbird
it may be easier to explain, the pump port with the thermostat in it always controls the output of the pump back to the top spout on the radiator, and the other is the suction side of the pump and is always hooked up to the bottom spout on the radiator. this is common on any motor of any kind.

so in essence, the pump spouts on a LT-1 pump point in opposite directions than those on a standard sbc water pump.
Interesting.. I used a griffen aftermarket and didn't cross the hoses.. no problem with it..

For the steam line from the back of the head I used a 6an compression fitting and had a speed shop weld a 6an fitting on the radiator, installed a 90, cut a line of braided and done.. you can see it just barely on the pic.. one of these days I will take a better one..
Attached Thumbnails LT1 swap 99% done...the little things-canresize4.jpg  

Last edited by J's T/A; 08-21-2003 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:02 AM

Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: LTX
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 strengthed 7.5 inch
can see it here too..

Those stainless hoses are going away in favor of a 96 camaro upper hose (already installed) and an LT1 corvette lower hose..
Attached Thumbnails LT1 swap 99% done...the little things-night.jpg